Facing her vehement love pursuit, he finally fell in love with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does this sentence sound natural? If not, how can I improve it?

Facing her vehement love pursuit, he finally fell in love with her.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have changed your thread title.

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

No, it doesn't sound natural. Write it in simpler words.

Before her intense love, he finally accepted her.

Not sure whether this works.

That doesn't work at all. He can't "finally" do something "before" she does something else.

I'd better give it up.

Her pursuit of his love finally succeeded?

Do you mean "After years of pursuing him, he finally fell in love with her" or something similar?

That doesn't work at all. He can't "finally" do something "before" she does something else.

"Before" there meant "confronted by," "facing" - not "prior to."

GoodTaste, the biggest problem is the word "vehement." Did you find it in a thesaurus? It doesn't exactly mean "powerful" or "intense" or "overwhelming." Have you looked it up?

Do you mean "After years of pursuing him, he finally fell in love with her" or something similar?

Not necessarily for years, she just demonstrated, all out, her strong love toward him to win him over.

Do you mean 'Because of' instead of 'Before'?

That's it. "Because of" is crystal clear and I was not sure whether I've used "before" correctly.

"Before" there meant "confronted by," "facing" - not "prior to."

GoodTaste, the biggest problem is the word "vehement." Did you find it in a thesaurus? It doesn't exactly mean "powerful" or "intense" or "overwhelming." Have you looked it up?

That is what I meant by using 'before'.

The definition for the word vehement that I used is: marked by extreme intensity of emotions or convictions.

I thought love is a strong emotion. So I chose to use the word.

I think 'vehement' should be used to modify an act rather than a feeling such as love.
'After her vehement pursuit of romance, he finally fell in love with her.'

In my opinion, there's something inherently illogical in the OP's sentence. It's not a particular word; it is the meaning. A person cannot be forced to fall in love. As they say, you can't hurry love.:-?

. . . The definition for the word vehement that I used is: marked by extreme intensity of emotions or convictions. . . .

Aha! You should know that "vehement" also connotes anger and aggression: "I will not turn my own brother in to the police!" she spat vehemently.

One way to remember is to think of the word venom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back