he wasn't keen about MY marrying Hugo... (why my, not me?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

natalia.kyrch

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Hello!

Can someone please tell me the rule that explains why we say "my" in sentences like 'he wasn't keen about my marrying Hugo'? Why not 'me'?

Thank you.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't rhink it's a rule so much as a change in fashion. Long ago, as a schoolboy, I was taught to use "my" with such gerunds or participles or what-you-may-call-thems. But nowadays people don't bother with "my" and use "me" instead.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd say it's a function of formality. In formal writing, the possessive gerund is still the preferred form. However, in casual speech you will often hear a pronoun instead of a possessive adjective.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The version with ‘me’ is needed if the next sentence is ‘He wanted my sister Hortense to marry him’.

natalia.kyrch

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
I'd say it's a function of formality. In formal writing, the possessive gerund is still the preferred form. However, in casual speech you will often hear a pronoun instead of a possessive adjective.
What about books? Do modern authors prefer to avoid the possessive gerund? My example is from Agatha Christie's book, so it's a bit old....

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suppose that depends on what register they're writing for. 'Formal' writing generally refers to academic and professional writing.

If they're writing character dialog, then they're going to use whichever form they think best fits the character - even if it's non-standard grammar and vocabulary.

You still seem to be looking for some kind of hard and fast 'rule' that tells you when you can or can't use one particular form, when there really isn't one. To be honest, I think you're overly concerned about a fairly trivial matter.

Use whichever one you wish in speaking or writing. In the rare case where some pedant objects, you can change it if you feel like their opinion really matters. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.