English Teacher
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
"I'm not going out with my friends tonight. I'm sick."
The above sentence is out of context, from an exercise. Can we use "I won't go" instead of "I'm not going"? Can we say that it could be an instant decision?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can use:
I'm not going out with my friends tonight ...
I'm not going to go out with my friends tonight ...
I won't go out with my friends tonight ...
I've changed my mind about going out with my friends tonight ...
I've decided against going out with my friends tonight ...
I'm too sick to go out with my friends tonight ...

You can say any of them at any time before you were meant to be going out.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"I'm not going out with my friends tonight. I'm sick."
The above sentence is out of context, from an exercise. Can we use "I won't go" instead of "I'm not going"? Can we say that it could be an instant decision?
I disagree with jutfrank on this. I don't find it helpful to think about what the writer of an exercise had in mind when I am assessing whether an utterance is possible. In my opinion, we can use I won't go, in your sentence and it could suggest an instant opinion.

I am not a fan of exercises that require learners to select the 'best' or 'most appropriate' way of referring to the future. As you can see in this article, native speakers might use more than one way in most situations. I am more interested in what the speaker may have in mind than what the writer of the exercise is trying to test.

Last edited:

dorax

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
The example seems to me to have been purposefully written to exemplify 'be going to'. So that for that reason, no.
I would agree with you. I think that's the point in this sentence.
But because I have been thinking about it a lot and I have sometimes to choose and correct such sentences, I would also agree with @5jjj. Exercises with sentences out of context seem difficult to teach and be taught. But how can you practise tenses and differences among them? What is a good approach? @5jjj thanks for the link. "Do not think that there is one, and only one, ‘correct’ form in any given situation." (quoted from the article of the link) I think that's the answer.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
My view on this is that you have to focus your students on the differences between these future forms, not the similarities. If you use an example context where two different future forms are more or less equally imaginable, you haven't shown anything, and you're going to confuse your learners. This is why it's so important to prepare and select your example contexts so carefully. As far as exercises go, if the context is not clear enough to easily select one form over another, the question fails. It's your responsibility as a teacher to make sure you don't give your students poor questions.

As you say, this particular context was created by a professional writer or teacher as a special example of the use of the present continuous as a future form. (I made a mistake in my post #3 above, where I said it's 'be going to'.) Your job is to explain to your students why the speaker uses present continuous and not 'be going to' or 'will'. Of course, to do all this, you have to be very clear in your own mind about the differences between the forms. If you need help with that, let us know.

Last edited: