[Grammar] ... in order to calm their solders, all fleets had their own Buddhist preachers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
For a quick fix, I'd correct it to your version b., remembering to add the required article before large amount.

Come on, kadioguy. You know what I mean. I don't believe for a moment that you don't.

Observe/notice how I used the present participle phrase to express what I wanted to say.

I guess you're not used to that phrase. He just meant be sure to do it or don't forget to do it. In other words, don't leave it out.

For a quick fix, I'd correct it to your version b., remembering to add the required article before large amount.
-----
OK, so the green part is used to remind me to
remember to add the required article before large amount. It has nothing to do with

For a quick fix, I'd correct it to your version b., and (I'd) remember to add the required article before large amount.

Am I right in thinking it this time?

(PS - If so, I think
remembering is more like a gerund, rather than a present participle. This is because if remembering is a present participle, then its logical subject will be I (jutfrank, the speaker[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]), rather than [/FONT]you [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif](kadioguy, the [/FONT]listener[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]). [/FONT]:)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I was trying my best to know what you meant. :oops:

That's exactly my point. You don't need to try. You already know what I meant. You naturally understood what I meant from the context. You still do, really, though you're doing a good job of confusing yourself by focusing too hard on what you think you know about the grammar.

I said that in post #5 and #13, because I associated this sentence [...] with constructions like this:

I usually sit on the sofa watching television.

I usually sit on the sofa and watch television.
-------

I know little about
the present participle phrase. :oops:

Notice that unlike here, I used a comma in my sentence before the participle phrase.

-----
OK, so the green part is used to remind me to
remember to add the required article before large amount. It has nothing to do with

For a quick fix, I'd correct it to your version b., and (I'd) remember to add the required article before large amount.

Am I right in thinking it this time?

(PS - If so, I think
remembering is more like a gerund, rather than a present participle. This is because if remembering is a present participle, then its logical subject will be I (jutfrank, the speaker), rather than you (kadioguy, the listener). :)

You're confusing yourself terribly by overthinking. Just focus first on what I meant, not on what you think the meaning should be, and then observe how I used the language to express the meaning. Don't believe that you don't understand.

This is what I'm attempting to teach you here: The best way to learn is by focusing on meaning first, and then noticing how grammar is used to express meaning. You often get this process the wrong way round.

Remember the context—you raised a question in post #1 about the correctness of something, and I responded in post #2 with an answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.