Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Switzerland
Hello all amazing teachers here.

Would you please give me a story that consists of present simple sentences. I don’t want it to be short or very simple, I want it to be for intermediate students , somehow long, and consist of many new Vocabularies. Can I find sth like this, please? 🙏🏻

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello. all amazing teachers here.

Would you please give me a story that consists solely of sentences in the present simple? sentences. I don’t want it to be short or very simple; I want it to be for intermediate students, somehow quite/fairly/relatively long, and consist of many contain a lot of new Vocabularies vocabulary. Where can I find sth something like this, please? 🙏🏻
Welcome to the forum. Please note my corrections above.

I'll be very surprised if such a thing exists. When you say "story", do you mean a book, an article, a short story, or something else? Why does it have to be all in the present simple? Intermediate students should be far beyond that.
Also, how on earth would we know what would constitute "new vocabulary" for people we don't even know.

Why are you asking?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Ameeraana I am guessing that you want to learn some new words. I do not, of course, know what words you already know.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello all amazing teachers here.

Would you please give me a story that consists of present simple sentences. I don’t want it to be short or very simple, I want it to be for intermediate students , somehow long, and consist of many new Vocabularies. Can I find sth like this, please? 🙏🏻

Anything meeting all those criteria is a)going to sound very unnatural and b)have to be specifically written for just this very purpose. Additionally, as others have said, it's impossible to determine what might be new vocabulary. Nobody knows all the same words - what's new for one person might be common knowledge for another.

Additionally, what kind of vocabulary are you wanting? Academic? General everyday vocabulary? Something specific to a particular trade, industry, or profession? You're asking for a very specific type of square, but giving us very vague, circular dimensions.

This makes me think of some the short (a few paragraphs) stories I've created for student dictation exercises, tailored to various specific tenses or grammatical points we were covering at the time. While they worked well for their intended purpose - repeated exposure to a particular grammatical point, and familiarity through repetition - none of them were at all natural sounding or anything you'd actually expect to encounter in realia.

Last edited:

Ameeraana

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Switzerland
Welcome to the forum. Please note my corrections above.

I'll be very surprised if such a thing exists. When you say "story", do you mean a book, an article, a short story, or something else? Why does it have to be all in the present simple? Intermediate students should be far beyond that.
Also, how on earth would we know what would constitute "new vocabulary" for people we don't even know.

Why are you asking?
I really thank you for your correction, but I really want to know why? I mean what is wrong with " consists of present simple sentences" ? Is it grammatically wrong? Why "somehow" is wrong? And what's wrong with " "consist of many new vocabularies"? 😥 Your correction mean that I 'm talking totally wrong! Aren't I?!

Ameeraana

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Switzerland
Anything meeting all those criteria is a)going to sound very unnatural and b)have to be specifically written for just this very purpose. Additionally, as others have said, it's impossible to determine what might be new vocabulary. Nobody knows all the same words - what's new for one person might be common knowledge for another.

Additionally, what kind of vocabulary are you wanting? Academic? General everyday vocabulary? Something specific to a particular trade, industry, or profession? You're asking for a very specific type of square, but giving us very vague, circular dimensions.

This makes me think of some the short (a few paragraphs) stories I've created for student dictation exercises, tailored to various specific tenses or grammatical points we were covering at the time. While they worked well for their intended purpose - repeated exposure to a particular grammatical point, and familiarity through repetition - none of them were at all natural sounding or anything you'd actually expect to encounter in realia.
I want to learn Academic and general everyday words that are suitable to students in the intermediate level. It means not very difficult, nor very simple.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I really thank you for your corrections, but I really want to know why you made some of them?
Note the added words above. Your original version meant "... I really want to know why I thank you for your corrections".
I mean What is wrong with "consists of present simple sentences"?
I added the word "solely" because just about any story will contain at least some examples of the present simple. I got the impression you wanted the entire story to be written in the present simple and your original sentence didn't make that 100% clear.
Don't put a space after opening quotation marks or before closing quotation marks.
Is it grammatically wrong?
No, it just wasn't entirely clear.
Why is "somehow" is wrong?
Note the correct way to formulate a question. We don't write a statement and just add a question mark. You need to move the verb.
And what's wrong with "consist of many new vocabularies"? 😥
"Vocabulary" is uncountable.
Your corrections mean that what I'm talking saying is totally wrong, Aren't I don't they?!
No, they don't. They simply show that you're a learner!
I want to learn academic and general everyday words that are suitable to for students in the at intermediate level. It means not very difficult, nor very simple.
I'm still not clear why you're asking us this. Your member profile doesn't say that you're a teacher so why are you looking for vocabulary for specific students. Is it for your own study? If so, make that clear.
You're not going to find a story written mostly in the present simple that's aimed at intermediate level students, nor will it be academic language.

Ameeraana

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Switzerland
Note the added words above. Your original version meant "... I really want to know why I thank you for your corrections".

I added the word "solely" because just about any story will contain at least some examples of the present simple. I got the impression you wanted the entire story to be written in the present simple and your original sentence didn't make that 100% clear.
Don't put a space after opening quotation marks or before closing quotation marks.

No, it just wasn't entirely clear.

Note the correct way to formulate a question. We don't write a statement and just add a question mark. You need to move the verb.

"Vocabulary" is uncountable.

No, they don't. They simply show that you're a learner!

I'm still not clear why you're asking us this. Your member profile doesn't say that you're a teacher so why are you looking for vocabulary for specific students. Is it for your own study? If so, make that clear.
You're not going to find a story written mostly in the present simple that's aimed at intermediate level students, nor will it be academic language.
I made so many mistakes 💔 very disappointed 😥😔 Thank you so much . I wanted it for me. I wanted to study English by myself, but now I feel that no need to study more. I made miserable mistakes which means that self study is worthless 💔😣😥

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I made so many mistakes. 💔
I'm very disappointed. 😥😔
Thank you so much.
I wanted it for me myself.
I wanted to study English by myself, but now I feel that no I need to study more.
I made miserable mistakes, which means that self-study is worthless. 💔😣😥
Don't get demoralised. Your English is entirely understandable. You just make some fairly classic errors. As far as your written English is concerned, concentrate on the basics. Remember to follow these rules at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark. An emoji is not a replacement for a closing punctuation mark.
- Don't put a space before a full stop. Always put a space after a full stop.
- Don't put a space before a comma. Always put a space after a comma.
- Don't put a space after opening quotation marks or before closing quotation marks.

Studying on your own isn't worthless but it is more difficult than having formal classes. What textbooks are you using for your self-study?

Ameeraana

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Switzerland
T. You said " what I'm talking" is wrong, so why is it wrong? Why have we say " what I'm saying"? Is it because the verb "talking " is used to express a live conversation with someone?

"Aren't I " is wrong, so is it because it refers to the speech, so that we have to use "Don't they" ?

Last edited:

Ameeraana

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Switzerland
Don't get demoralised. Your English is entirely understandable. You just make some fairly classic errors. As far as your written English is concerned, concentrate on the basics. Remember to follow these rules at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark. An emoji is not a replacement for a closing punctuation mark.
- Don't put a space before a full stop. Always put a space after a full stop.
- Don't put a space before a comma. Always put a space after a comma.
- Don't put a space after opening quotation marks or before closing quotation marks.

Studying on your own isn't worthless but it is more difficult than having formal classes. What textbooks are you using for your self-study?
Many books, for example Azar for the grammar section. I know all rules that were written above, yet I made some mistakes. I didn't focus well when I wrote the sentences and besides this point I always feel that I'm not good enough specially in prepositions and small rules like " countable and uncountable", and sometimes in forming some sentences. Thank you so much teacher. It's my bad and your advice made my day and let me think again of my way in studying (or of the way of my studying). Highly appreciated.💐

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Many books, for example Azar for the grammar section.
I'm not familiar with that one. Many of us here recommend Raymond Murphy's English Grammar in Use and Michael Swan's Practical English Usage. I'm sure you'll be able to find a copy of one/both of them to purchase online, or in a good bookshop in Switzerland.

Ameeraana

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Switzerland
I'm not familiar with that one. Many of us here recommend Raymond Murphy's English Grammar in Use and Michael Swan's Practical English Usage. I'm sure you'll be able to find a copy of one/both of them to purchase online, or in a good bookshop in Switzerland.
Thank you so much. 🤩I will try to get one of them.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
T. You said " what I'm talking" is wrong, so why is it wrong? Why have we say " what I'm saying"? Is it because the verb "talking " is used to express a live conversation with someone?

No, what I'm talking is wrong because unlike say, the verb talk is intransitive. You can't say 'talk something' but you can say 'say something'.

Ameeraana

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Armenian
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Switzerland
No, what I'm talking is wrong because unlike say, the verb talk is intransitive. You can't say 'talk something' but you can say 'say something'.
Aha, I got it now. Thank you over the top 💐💐💐💐💐🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Aha, I got it now. Thank you. over the top
I repeat - an emoji is not a suitable replacement for a closing punctuation mark. Please concentrate more on our corrections and less on putting loads of pointless emojis in your posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.