Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Recently, I read AMERICAN STORIES "About a Place Called Gabrielle's". Its manuscript is not formal, but dictating script by an internet friend. As followed:
"Everything was bigger, or smaller, or in the wrong place. Two days of this were twenty, then he was walking down the street, and he saw the sign-Gabrielle. "
I have two questions not to be sure:
1. Is it the word "this", or "these"?
2. Is it "twenty", or "plenty"?
Explain them, please. Thanks!

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Recently, I read AMERICAN STORIES "About a Place Called Gabrielle's". Its manuscript is not formal, but dictating script by an internet friend. As followed:
"Everything was bigger, or smaller, or in the wrong place. Two days of this were twenty, then he was walking down the street, and he saw the sign-Gabrielle. "
I have two questions not to be sure:
1. Is it the word "this", or "these"? "This refers to the "disorderly" situation described. So yes, it's "this".
2. Is it "twenty", or "plenty"? The author says that every day spent like that feels like twenty, magnifying the helplessness of the character.
Explain them, please. Thanks!

Hope that helps.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two days of this were twenty does not make sense. The author might have meant plenty, but what follows still doesn't make much sense.

gonghoujun

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Two days of this were twenty does not make sense. The author might have meant plenty, but what follows still doesn't make much sense.
I believe the words "this " and "twenty" is incorrect, but after I listen to MP3 of this story, I cannot confirm them to be incorrect. It seems correct.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I believe the words "this " and "twenty" is incorrect, but after I listen to MP3 of this story, I cannot confirm them to be incorrect. It seems correct.

This works fine. I can't imagine the second word is twenty if the text was written by a native Anglophone.

gonghoujun

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
1. Is it the word "this", or "these"? "This refers to the "disorderly" situation described. So yes, it's "this".
2. Is it "twenty", or "plenty"? The author says that every day spent like that feels like twenty, magnifying the helplessness of the character..
Thank Charliedeut for this reply of my questions. Would you like to explain them in detail?

Status
Not open for further replies.