Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
If a child wants to cross a busy road, I warn him, "You need to watch the traffic carefully and decide where the cars go and decide when and where you can cross the road."
If the child safely crosses the road, can I say he has the sound judgment? Or, he made the right decision? Or He made the right choice?
Or another word?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If a child wants to cross a busy road, I warn him, "You need to watch the traffic carefully and decide where the cars go and decide when and where you can cross the road." If the child safely crosses the road, can I say he has [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] sound judgment? Or he made the right decision? Or He made the right choice?
Or another word?

Try:

You did well!

(Your instructions are too complicated. Try: "Wait until you don't see any cars coming, and then cross the street.")

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Yes, I agree.
I'd like to know whether or not those words could be used in that case, and whether or not I use them correctly.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"The right decision" or "the right choice" work there.

Last edited by a moderator:

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you! (I don't know why the thanks and likes buttons don't work.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If a child wants to cross a busy road, I might/would warn him, "You need to watch the traffic carefully and decide where the cars go and decide when and where you can cross the road."

If the child safely crosses the road, can I say he has [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] sound judgment, or he made the right decision, or he made the right choice?

[STRIKE]Or[/STRIKE] Would another word be better?

Note my corrections above. As a learner, don't start sentences/questions with "Or".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It seems to me that you're approaching this in the wrong way, realEnglish.

My sense here is that you're thinking of a Chinese word and trying to find an English translation. That's not a good idea. Instead, you will do better to study the use of these English words in natural contexts.

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thank you everyone for your help. (The thanks and like buttons don't work here.)
It seems to me that you're approaching this in the wrong way, realEnglish.

My sense here is that you're thinking of a Chinese word and trying to find an English translation.
Agreed. I realized this problem many years ago. That's why my user name is realEnglish.
The first language is something like a birth defect in anyone who wants to learn a new language.
That's not a good idea. Instead, you will do better to study the use of these English words in natural contexts.
To try to get rid of the influence of my first language, I've seen more than 30 thousand videos (as short as minutes and as long as hours), and read more than 100 thousand articles. But as you can see I'm still puzzled by the use of many words, phrases, and expressions.
Could you please give me more details in how I study in natural contexts?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wow! That's probably more videos than I have watched.
:)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
To try to get rid of the influence of my first language, I've seen more than 30 thousand videos (as short as minutes and as long as hours), and read more than 100 thousand articles. But as you can see I'm still puzzled by the use of many words, phrases, and expressions.
Could you please give me more details in how I study in natural contexts?

Instead of finding which English word best translates a Chinese word used in a specific context, look at natural contexts for the English words you want to learn.

In this case, look at clear examples of the words judgement/decision/choice as they appear in authentic use. If you're not sure whether the examples you find are good ones, you can ask us on this forum.

My point here is that you must get the meaning clear first, and then extrapolate to the use. At the moment, it seems you're doing things the wrong way round.

(30,000 videos? You must be a very old man!)

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
In this case, look at clear examples of the words judgement/decision/choice as they appear in authentic use.
Years ago when a couple (husband from America and wife from Britain) taught us the Bible, they said don't judge people. I asked, "If we don't judge people, how could we know whether or not it's safe to contact someone? We judge people just to be safe." (I meant to determine.) They told me it's wrong to say judge. It's correct to say make the right decision.
You can see what I was and am confused about.

If you're not sure whether the examples you find are good ones, you can ask us on this forum.
Please help me review articles on the two websites:
https://www.crime-safety-security.com/about-michael.html
https://divisbyzero.com/2008/09/22/what-is-the-difference-between-a-theorem-a-lemma-and-a-corollary/
Both were written by native speakers. But the crime articles sound a bit weird to me. I feel much more comfortable with the articles on divisbyzero, especially the comments made by Dorian Sabaz.
(30,000 videos? You must be a very old man!)
Old but not very. Most of the videos on Youtube aren't very long.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Years ago when a couple (husband from America and wife from Britain) taught us the Bible, they said don't judge people.

Okay, good. Yes, that's what I mean by authentic language in use. You can learn a lot about the word judge from that.

I asked, "If we don't judge people, how could we know whether or not it's safe to contact someone? We judge people just to be safe." (I meant to determine.) They told me it's wrong to say judge.

Yes, it seems to me that they were right. I think you misunderstood what they meant. What they were talking about goes to the very heart of the Christian teaching. Can't you remember what the couple were trying to teach you?

It's correct to say make the right decision.
You can see what I was and am confused about.

Well, I'm not sure what you meant to say. What do you mean by 'safe to contact someone'?

Please help me review articles on the two websites:

If you have any specific questions about the use of English in those articles, please start a new thread.

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Well, I'm not sure what you meant to say. What do you mean by 'safe to contact someone'?

I mean people may harm me. I have to know more about them before I could be sure it's safe (or unsafe) to be in certain relationship with them, such as becoming friends, or doing business with them, etc. I have to determine whether or not they'd be friendly to me.
If judge isn't the correct word, what word(s) could be used in this case?
I'm thinking of evaluate, assess. But I know they are not correct.
Could I say I should try to know people more before I decide to associate with them?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my humble opinion, evaluate is a perfectly good word to use there.

I might say:

I need to get to know that person better before I do business with him. (For example.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

I need to get to know them better before I decide if it's safe to become friends with them, do business with them, etc

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
In my humble opinion, evaluate is a perfectly good word to use there.

I might say:

I need to get to know that person better before I do business with him. (For example.)

Thank you! I trust your subconscious. :-D

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I mean people may harm me. I have to know more about them before I could be sure it's safe (or unsafe) to be in certain relationships with them, such as becoming friends, or doing business with them, etc. I have to determine whether or not they'd be friendly to me.

If judge isn't the correct word, what word(s) could be used in this case?

I'm thinking of "evaluate" or "assess", but I know they are not correct.

Could I say I should try to know people more before I decide to associate with them?
Get into the habit of adding line breaks for clarity. Take care to use quotation marks as shown. I know it's fiddly, but it's essential, and we're not going to keep doing it for you.

(Or you could have italicised them like you did with judge.)

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Get into the habit of adding line breaks for clarity. Take care to use quotation marks as shown. I know it's fiddly, but it's essential, and we're not going to keep doing it for you.

(Or you could have italicised them like you did with judge.)

Thank you! I didn't even realize.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you! I trust your subconscious. :-D

Well, I don't know if I would trust my subconscious.
;-)

I have been doing this for over ten years (not all of them as Tarheel), and I will, hopefully, some day get good at it.
;-)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If a child wants to cross a busy road, I warn him, "You need to watch the traffic carefully and decide where the cars go and decide when and where you can cross the road."
If the child safely crosses the road, can I say he has the sound judgment? Or, he made the right decision? Or He made the right choice?
Or another word?
None of those phrases really fit that situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.