Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Did you read post #2? Do you disagree with my advice?

I did read that. I thought the sentence you wrote had some other meaning I already mentioned in one of my earlier posts. The meaning was made clear by one of the teachers here. I don't disagree anymore. :)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
How can it be misunderstood?
The instructions were too complicated: "You need to watch the traffic carefully and decide where the cars go and decide when and where you can cross the road."

Safety instructions should be simple and clear:

- Huh? What does "decide where the cars go" mean?

- Instead of "decide when and where," a simple instruction like "wait for . . . ." or "don't cross until . . . ." would make more sense.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have told people a hundred times, "Keep it simple!" In this case we are giving instructions to a child. Do you think that advice applies?
:)

realEnglish

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
The instructions were too complicated: "You need to watch the traffic carefully and decide where the cars go and decide when and where you can cross the road."

Safety instructions should be simple and clear:

- Huh? What does "decide where the cars go" mean?

- Instead of "decide when and where," a simple instruction like "wait for . . . ." or "don't cross until . . . ." would make more sense.

I don't know what you saw in your imagination when you commented. If you live in a city where the traffic is like a non-stop flow, sometimes you have to cross one lane, then wait until you have the opportunity to cross another lane, your instruction wouldn't work.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In many places (like here in Charlotte) some of the streets have a divider in the middle. You can cross one lane (more likely two) then wait on the divider until traffic going in the other direction eases up.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In may places (like here in Charlotte) some of the streets have a divider in the middle. You can cross one lane (more likely two) then wait on the divider until traffic going in the other direction eases up.
In some places — Vietnam, for instance — crossing a busy street requires the pedestrian to walk confidently into the road while the vehicles dodge him or her. Foreign visitors learn to tag along with a local.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sounds scary!

Status