English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi folks,

When I look up the word “mid-thirties” in “The Free Dictionary,” it says: the time of life between 30 and 40. I’d like to know what you think of this definition.

Thanks as always.

emp0608

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I disagree with it. I would put mid-thirties from around 33 or 34 up to 36 or 37. There's no precise definition but it definitely doesn't cover the entire decade. This sort of problem is exactly why we encourage people to use better dictionaries. Bookmark OneLook.com and use that to find multiple good-quality dictionary definitions.

emp0608

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thanks emsr2d2. I did check OneLook.com and most of them have the same definition.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
None of the better dictionaries at one-look.com gives a definition for mid-thirties. :(

With hyphenated words, it often pays to look up one or both of the parts. Looking up "mid-" gives definitions such as:

used to form nouns or adjectives that refer to the middle part of a particular period of time (Collins)
the middle of a period of time (Macmillan)
denoting the middle of (Oxford)

Several dictionaries give definitions of "thirties" similar to:

The numbers from thirty to thirty-nine, especially the years of a century or of a person's life (Oxford)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
When I look up the word “mid-thirties” in “The Free Dictionary,” it says: the time of life between 30 and 40. I’d like to know what you think of this definition.

I think it's terrible. The time of life between 30 and 40 is your 'thirties', obviously. Your 'mid-thirties' are only the middle part of that decade. Very poor definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.