Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Hi, Dear Teacher, I have drafted sentence 1) but my boss later corrected it to sentence 2), saying that the verbs "factilitate" and "are" should be in plural form to agree with the noun "programmes". But I'd rather prefer using the singular form to correspond with the noun phrase "rehabiitation programmes are provided". Is my boss correct?

1) In addition to safe custody, appropriate rehabilitation programmes are provided to prisoners which not only facilitates positive life changes and reduce the recidivism rate, but is also conducive to social harmony and stability in the long run.

vs

2) 1) In addition to safe custody, appropriate rehabilitation programmes are provided to prisoners which not only facilitate positive life changes and reduce the recidivism rate, but are also conducive to social harmony and stability in the long run.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. [STRIKE]dear teacher[/STRIKE]

I [STRIKE]have drafted[/STRIKE] wrote sentence 1) but my boss later corrected it to sentence 2), saying that the verbs "factilitate" and "are" should be in the plural form to agree with the noun "programmes". [STRIKE]But[/STRIKE] However, I'd [STRIKE]rather[/STRIKE] prefer [STRIKE]using[/STRIKE] to use the singular form to correspond with the noun phrase "rehabiitation programmes are provided". Is my boss correct?

1) In addition to safe custody, appropriate rehabilitation programmes are provided to prisoners, which not only facilitates positive life changes and reduce the recidivism rate, but is also conducive to social harmony and stability in the long run.

[STRIKE]vs[/STRIKE]

2) 1) In addition to safe custody, appropriate rehabilitation programmes are provided to prisoners, which not only facilitate positive life changes and reduce the recidivism rate, but are also conducive to social harmony and stability in the long run.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Your boss is right. The verbs need to agree with "programmes". Note my corrections above, particularly the addition of a comma before "which".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you want to use singular verbs, you can split this into two sentences:

In addition to safe custody, appropriate rehabilitation programmes are provided to prisoners. This not only facilitates positive life changes and reduces the recidivism rate, but it is also conducive to social harmony and stability in the long run.
"This" refers to the overall idea of providing the programs (American spelling).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In addition to safe custody, appropriate rehabilitation programmes are provided to prisoners which not only facilitates positive life changes and reduces the recidivism rate, but is also conducive to social harmony and stability in the long run.

I'd accept that, seeing the antecedent of which as appropriate rehabilitation programmes are provided to prisoners.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The disagreement you have with your boss is about what the pronoun which refers to. Your boss thinks it refers to appropriate rehabilitation programmes (hence a plural agreement) whereas your intention is that it refers to the whole clause appropriate rehabilitation programmes are provided to prisoners (hence a singular agreement). In other words, you're disagreeing over what the sentence means.

I suggest you include a comma before which and stick with the singular agreement, since that's what you mean. Otherwise, use GoesStation's suggestion from post #3.

[cross-posted]

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I agree with Jutfrank- put the comma in.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree. I should have mentioned that in my earlier post.

Status
Not open for further replies.