paid off allowing for evacuation within 90 seconds.

Maybo

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
“It’s too soon to comment on the specifics of the incident, but what’s clear is that the crew performed in an exemplary fashion,” he says.

“The safety training that airlines - in this case JAL - put the crews through on a continuous basis paid off allowing for evacuation within 90 seconds.

Source: Source: How safety rules ‘written in blood’ saved lives in Tokyo plane crash by Julia Buckley

I don't understand the structure of underlined part. Is "by" omitted before allowing?

No, the pay-off is allowing for evacuation within 90 seconds. You can add "in", not "by".

Source: Source: How safety rules ‘written in blood’ saved lives in Tokyo plane crash by Julia Buckley
Where was that published?
I don't understand the structure of underlined part. Is "by" omitted before allowing?
No. "by" was not omitted. Don't add "by" or "in". There should have been a comma after "off" to set off the participle clause "allowing ... seconds".
If you want to read more about participle clauses, take a look at the information in the following link:

Remember that when we ask for the source, we need the title of the publication, not just the title of the article.

I would have used a comma there, thus:

the safety training paid off, allowing ....

I would have used a comma there, thus:

the safety training paid off, allowing ....
Exactly as teechar said in post #3!

You don't have to rely on your memory to know what people in the thread have said, @Tarheel.

I did that time.
😊

Back