Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Hello.

The chart breaks down the number of overseas travelers who visited three different attractions in Europe from 1987 to 2007, over the span of 20 years.

Is it possible to replace "who visited" with " visiting"? If yes what is the difference between them?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hello.

The chart breaks down gives the breakdown of the number of overseas travelers who visited three different attractions in Europe from 1987 to 2007, over the span of 20 years.

Is it possible to replace "who visited" with " visiting"? If yes what is the difference between them?
The first is a verb while the second is a participle. Both are possible but I prefer the first.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
The chart breaks down the number of overseas travelers who visited three different attractions in Europe from 1987 to 2007, over the span of 20 years.
This is okay as it is. You can use "provides a breakdown of" instead of "breaks down" if you wish.
Is it possible to replace "who visited" with " visiting"?
No, because we are talking about the past. Use "who visited".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Is it possible to replace "who visited" with "visiting"? If yes so, what is the difference between them?
Note my corrections above. In my opinion, "over the span of 20 years" is redundant. You've already given the dates and they clearly cover a period of 20 years. You could add "inclusive" after "2007" just to make it very clear that both 1987 and 2007 are included in the figures.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
This is okay as it is. You can use "provides a breakdown of" instead of "breaks down" if you wish.
Thank you so much. Thank you button is enough to thank you, sir.
I thought "breaks down the number of" is acceptable as you mentioned in the thread. Post# 11

I don't know if "breaks down " can't be used with a pie chart or line graph?
No, because we are talking about the past. Use "who visited".
Yes. It is in the past. I am puzzled why "visiting" is incorrect

Please look at this thread see post # 5 and 6 the word "immigrating" is correct although the chart is in the past.