Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
On YouTube, in "How to: Order Food Like A Native Speaker",(
), at 0:39, the boy says the word "restaurant" in the way that I hear a kind of "s" at the very end. Is it the case? Can you please help me to understand this.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It says the video is unavailable, so I can't take a listen to it.

Could he possibly be contracting 'restaurant is'?

This restaurant's a great place to eat.

A second possibility is that he's making it possessive.
This is the restaurant's most popular dish.

One other possibly is that you're hearing the beginning sound of the next word get tagged onto the end of 'restaurant', which sometimes happens when speaking rapidly.

Or, maybe he's just using the plural form?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The video is unavailable in the UK too. Please give us the rest of the sentence so we can see if we can work out what he might have said.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The video is unavailable in the UK too. Please give us the rest of the sentence so we can see if we can work out what he might have said.
I'm sorry. Could you please try the following title in Youtube: "How to: Order Food Like a Native English Speaker". The position in the record is the same: 0:39.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm sorry. Could you please try the following title in Youtube: "How to: Order Food Like a Native English Speaker"? The position in the recording is the same: 0:39.

I'm not convinced that I've watched the right video but one of the speakers does say "restaurant" at 0:46. It's part of the sentence "some common phrases to use when you go to a restaurant". If that's the part you're talking about, he definitely just says "restaurant". I think what you're hearing is simply is very clear "t". It resonates a bit with the microphone and I suppose it could be mistaken for "ts".

Status
Not open for further replies.