Two words from cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom W.

Member Type
Other
Dear Teachers,

Do you know what "Laotang" means? and what "Chuguo"?

Just got these two words from a culinary book.

1)Laotang: when preparing stewed pork, during cooking, the chef will take out some broth from the pot, and store it in a container. Next time when preparing stewed pork again or cooking other hot dishes, some stored broth will be taken out from the container and added into the stewed pork or other cooking hot dishes to make the dishes more tasteful and delicious. The stored broth is called Laotang in Chinese culinary.

But do you really say "Laotang"? Or can you understand the word? What do you say for "Laotang"?

2)Chuguo: when a dish is ready to serve, it need to be taken out from the pan, the process of putting the food out of the pan is "Chuguo". Do you say "Chuguo"? or Can you understand the word?

Thank you very much! Have a nice day!

Dear Teachers,

Do you know what "Laotang" means? and what "Chuguo"?

Just got these two words from a culinary book.

1)Laotang: when preparing stewed pork, during cooking, the chef will take out some broth from the pot, and store it in a container. Next time when preparing stewed pork again or cooking other hot dishes, some stored broth will be taken out from the container and added into the stewed pork or other cooking hot dishes to make the dishes more tasteful and delicious. The stored broth is called Laotang in Chinese culinary.

But do you really say "Laotang"? Or can you understand the word? What do you say for "Laotang"?

2)Chuguo: when a dish is ready to serve, it need to be taken out from the pan, the process of putting the food out of the pan is "Chuguo". Do you say "Chuguo"? or Can you understand the word?

Thank you very much! Have a nice day!

1) As far as I know, we would simply say that we have some broth (or stock) that was removed from the pot during cooking. I don't think we have a specific word for "stored broth". Maybe "reserved stock".

2) Taking food out of the pan and putting it on plates or in bowls is "dishing up".

:up: ... I think 'dishing up' is rather too 'familiar' for most chefs, who would use some hi-falutin term like 'presenting'. I think there's some jargon here, but I don't know it - a phrasal verb, I think. Recipe books usually say 'serve' (not 'serve up' - which is rather informal).

'Reserved stock' is good. With roast or grilled meat, the pan catches the 'juices'.

b

Thank you all very much for the professional and prompt replies as always!:-D

Just an unserious comment:
When the cook first takes it out, it is not really laotang 老汤 but xintang 新汤

Which chuguo is it? 出国 or 出过? The latter I presume: 'to go beyond the pan over' (to the dishes) = dish up. I never heard chuguo in English. Maybe in Chinglish!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back