Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
At 01:37 of [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77kCUlOsr6c&t=97s] the caller supposedly says "would get hold of the utility companies". I would like to catch the meaning of "get hold of" with the reference to "utility companies" What a synonym phrase could be?

At 01:37 of [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77kCUlOsr6c&t=97s] the caller supposedly says "would get hold of the utility companies". I would like to catch understand the meaning of "get hold of" with the reference to "utility companies" What would a synonym phrase could be?
He does say "get hold of the utility companies". Because he goes on to mention a windfall tax, I think he's suggesting, metaphorically, that he would like to grab hold of them and almost shake millions of pounds of profit out of them.

Note my changes above. Don't use "catch" instead of "understand". We sometimes use it to refer to not hearing something - "Could you repeat that please? I didn't quite catch it". That means "I didn't quite hear what you said". Remember the right way to construct a question.

get hold of = tax

He does say "get hold of the utility companies". Because he goes on to mention a windfall tax, I think he's suggesting, metaphorically, that he would like to grab hold of them and almost shake millions of pounds of profit out of them.

Note my changes above. Don't use "catch" instead of "understand". We sometimes use it to refer to not hearing something - "Could you repeat that please? I didn't quite catch it". That means "I didn't quite hear what you said". Remember the right way to construct a question.
What is the difference between "What would a synonym phrase be" and "What could a synonym phrase be"?

What is the difference between "What would a synonym phrase be" and "What could a synonym phrase be"?

For the purposes of what you mean to ask, nothing.

"Would" sounds more certain than "could" in that context. By the way, it's "synonymous phrase".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back