Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am interested in someone telling me the parts of speech and rules of English to the following: "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world." I am particularly interested in the prepostions and prepostional phrases beginning with "in" preceding "the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." and the preposition "of" preceding "the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." Here is what I understand about prepositions: A Prepositional Phrase will act as an adjective or adverb. As an adjective the prepositional phrase answers the question "which one". My ultimate question is this: Is the word "name" singular and do the three persons, "The Father", "The Son" and "The Holy Ghost" represent the singular word "name" ? I hope I am asking this correctly. This is from the King James Bible, St. Matthew 28:19. There is an argument that these are three distinct persons and unrelated to the "name". "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." Very complex to me. Please break it down. Prepositinal phrase will never contain the subject of the sentence.
How does the "name" relate to the "Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost"? Would it be improper english to say: "In the names of the Father and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost"? Using the word "name" as plural? Note I did not write "name", but "names". Why is the word "name" singular?

Last edited:

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am interested in someone telling me the parts of speech and rules of English to the following: "Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world." I am particularly interested in the prepostions and prepostional phrases beginning with "in" preceding "the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." and the preposition "of" preceding "the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." Here is what I understand about prepositions: A Prepositional Phrase will act as an adjective or adverb. As an adjective the prepositional phrase answers the question "which one". My ultimate question is this: Is the word "name" singular and do the three persons, "The Father", "The Son" and "The Holy Ghost" represent the singular word "name" ? I hope I am asking this correctly. This is from the King James Bible, St. Matthew 28:19. There is an argument that these are three distinct persons and unrelated to the "name". "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost." Very complex to me. Please break it down. Prepositinal phrase will never contain the subject of the sentence.
How does the "name" relate to the "Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost"?

In that phrase, the word "name" is understood to apply to all three entities: in the name of the father, and (the name) of the Son, and (the name) of the Holy Ghost.

Status
Not open for further replies.