[Vocabulary] Any synonym for "explore the tradeoff"? hope for advice on sentence structure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RuiRitaYang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States
Any synonym for "explore the tradeoff"? hope for advice on sentence structure.

Hi all,

I was writing a statement starting with "These works show the mechanisms that explore the A-B tradeoff through CCC in DDD setting.". However, the sentence seems to un-excited and I want to make it more "punchy". Thus, I was considering to modify it as

"These works show that the A-B tradeoff in DDD settings can be navigated through CCC" or
"These works show that CCC can navigate the A-B tradeoff in DDD setting."

Will any of above sentence structure sounds more "punchy" than the initial one? If not, is there any suggestions about how to make the sentence more "punchy" or excited?

Also, I was trying to use "navigate the tradeoffs" to replace "explore the tradeoff". Are they synonyms? What about "steer the tradeoff" or is there any other synonym that might also be formal and widely used?

Thanks a lot for any feedback/advice in advance!

Regards,
-Rui

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: Any synonym for "explore the tradeoff"? hope for advice on sentence structure.

Are you trying to plug CCC? If so, you could say that CCC allows us to explore the A-B tradeoff in DDD setting.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Re: Any synonym for "explore the tradeoff"? hope for advice on sentence structure.

I have so many questions about your post, Rui, that I don't know where to begin! Let's start with these two:

First of all, what are you talking about? Is this writing? Tell us what you're writing and why.
Secondly, what do you mean by 'punchy and excited'? Why do you want to sound that way?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Hi all,

I was writing a statement starting with "These works show the mechanisms that explore the A-B tradeoff through CCC in DDD setting.". However, the sentence seems to un-excited and I want to make it more "punchy". Thus, I was considering to modify it as

"These works show that the A-B tradeoff in DDD settings can be navigated through CCC" or
"These works show that CCC can navigate the A-B tradeoff in DDD setting."

What works? Do you mean books? What mechanisms? What is an A-B tradeoff? What does "through CCC in DDD setting" mean? How do you navigate a tradeoff?

Will any of above sentence structure sounds more "punchy" than the initial one?

No.

If not, is there any suggestions about how to make the sentence more "punchy" or excited?

They would be more punchy and exciting written in plain English. But technical documents aren't supposed to be punchy or exciting. They're only supposed to inform.

Also, I was trying to use "navigate the tradeoffs" to replace "explore the tradeoff".

Why?

Are they synonyms?

No. What have you found when you looked them up? What is unclear?

What about "steer the tradeoff" or is there any other synonym that might also be formal and widely used?

You can't steer or navigate a tradeoff. If you mean explore, say explore.

Thanks a lot for any feedback or advice [STRIKE]in advance[/STRIKE]!

Regards,
-Rui
What is this for? What do A-B, CCC, and DDD mean?

RuiRitaYang

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
United States

I have so many questions about your post, Rui, that I don't know where to begin! Let's start with these two:

First of all, what are you talking about? Is this writing? Tell us what you're writing and why.
Secondly, what do you mean by 'punchy and excited'? Why do you want to sound that way?

Thanks a lot! Yeah, it's a thesis statement. One reason that I need to make it punchy is because this is a suggestion from my advisor.
The reason he requires the thesis statement to be more punchy because he said it is important to catch people's eye and make them feel more interested to read more for your paper.

But based on suggestions from all of you, the key to make the sentence better / more punchy is more about the content, but not changing the sentence structure etc.

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by a moderator:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Well, it's also about choosing the right words to say what you mean, which I'm not at all sure you've done. I'm probably not alone in that I don't really understand any of the words that you've used.

How can a mechanism explore something? How can a trade-off be explored? Why have you used through? What is in DDD setting supposed to mean?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

RuiRitaYang,two things. One, you have post #5 backwards. Two, I have the same questions as everybody else. (I don't understand your terms.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

... you have post #5 backwards.

Just to clarify (especially given that I edited post #5 before seeing post #7) - what Tarheel meant is that you put your response above the quote it referred to. That's the wrong way round. When you use "Reply with Quote", leave the quote at the top of the text box and write your response under it.

Status
Not open for further replies.