Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
My question is: is there any differences between these two phrasal verbs and their uses? For example in sentences like these:

a) My father didn't want to let me out, but finally I wore him down and I went out with some friends.
b) My father didn't want to let me out, but finally I talked him into it and I went out with some friends.
c) She talked me into going to the cinema although I didn't like that film very much,
d) She wore me down about (Is this preposition correct? Or is it better to use the infinitive?) going to the cinema although I didn't like that film very much.

Do they both mean to persuade, to convince someone? and are they used with they same meaning?
Is "to talk someone out of" the opposite of both the two phrasal verbs I'm talking about in this thread?

I thank you all for your explanations.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
My question is: is there any differences between these two phrasal verbs and their uses? For example in sentences like these:

a) My father didn't want to let me out, but finally I wore him down and I went out with some friends.
b) My father didn't want to let me out, but finally I talked him into it and I went out with some friends.
c) She talked me into going to the cinema although I didn't like that film very much,
d) She wore me down about (Is this preposition correct? Or is it better to use the infinitive?) going to the cinema although I didn't like that film very much.

Do they both mean to persuade, to convince someone? and are they used with they same meaning?
Is "to talk someone out of" the opposite of both the two phrasal verbs I'm talking about in this thread?

I thank you all for your explanations.

They both work in the first sentence, but only "talked me into" works in the second.

dilodi83

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Last edited by a moderator:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your question is about usage, and you have been answered.

As to why, native speakers just wouldn't say it like that.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
She went on and on about going to the cinema to see a film that I didn't really want to see. I said no for hours but in the end she wore me down.

Status
Not open for further replies.