Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello for the last time tonight.

My wife and I have had a beautiful ginger cat at home for over 10 years now. He is constantly looking for something soft to suck on.

I know that to suck on = make biscuits on = knead bread on.

I think that the sentence "There is something soft for my cat to suck on" means "There is something soft on which my cat can suck on".

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know that to suck on = make biscuits on = knead bread on.

The part above doesn't make any sense. What do you mean?

There is something soft for my cat to suck = There is something soft on which my cat can suck.

You don't need to say "suck on" in the first. "Suck" suffices. Also, are you sure you mean suck? I have had several cats and they never sucked anything. They all liked chewing things.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
YesYes, it definitely sucks things.

The part above means that the phrases mean the same.

Mrfatso

Member Type
Other
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Great Britain
Current Location
Great Britain
Not A Teacher

Some cats to show suckling and kneading behaviour it is said by some to be a sign of premature weaning and as a stress coping mechanism. However not every cat will behave in this manner it appear that esmr2d2 has had cats that did not behave in this way.

Sucking does not equal make biscuits on, sucking is to try to draw liquid from like using a drinking straw or a breastfeeding baby.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I haven't heard "making biscuits" in a long time, but yes, I have heard it used for a cat's kneading behavior.
Usually we say something like "Would you quit kneading my stomach and just lie down!"

The "sucking" part makes no sense to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm with Barb. I now understand the "making biscuits/kneading bread" reference, meaning what cats do with their paws on soft surfaces. In BrE, we call it "paddling". However, I can't see how it could ever be associated with sucking. One is done with the mouth, the other with the paws.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sucking is not the same as kneading. Some cats have a compulsion for sucking on certain fabrics. Wool is the most common. These cats are commonly referred to as "wool suckers". Sometimes they go beyond sucking to eating the fabric. If the cat finds that behavior to be pleasing, the cat may then also knead. I knew an animal behaviorist who went to a client's apartment to investigate the cat's wool sucking. After he interviewed the client he went to leave. One of his wool gloves was missing two fingers.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello for the last time tonight.
You don't need to keep writing this. It's only 'tonight' in certain time zones. This is a worldwide forum.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have a cat that does both of these. She will 'nurse' the fleece blanket covering me while she purrs and "kneads" - except my family has always referred to the kneading action as 'pushy-pulling'. I've never heard the 'kneading/biscuits' terms until today.

I've had many cats in my life, from my early childhood until my current two, but of the dozens I recall, this is the first one I've ever had that does the sucking. Many have been early weaned, often orphans, but this is the first sucker. Many have done the pushy-pulling.

She only does it when I'm in bed, and only if I'm under the blanket. She never seems to nurse anything else, and only when I'm under the blanket, although she often naps on the same blanket. Frankly, it drives me a bit nuts, because she's vigorous about it, does it near my face, and leaves a large wet spot. Plus, she's a loud purrer. Not to mention it wakes me up, and she may do it several times throughout the night.

I wish she'd at least go do it down at the foot of the bed...

The other one had a habit of waking me by chewing on my beard hair, but fortunately that's a thing of the past. Used to totally freak me out, being woken up to a cat right in my face trying to pull facial hair.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some cats have a variety of irritating habits. I have a cat now that has adopted a small stuffed toy. She carries it from room to room and then meows loudly. I refer to the toy as Waldo as in "Where's Waldo"?

Status
Not open for further replies.