Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
I'm reading some things written by a Professor Jacyna, who as far as I know is English. Talking about him is becoming an exercise on periphrasis... does someone know how his surname is pronounced?
thank you a lot

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The best I can do is a different man with the same name, who pronounces his name 'Jace-na'. MITRE | MITRE Fellows

However, you'll have to wait until you find someone who knows your Jacyna to be sure.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
If you're reading a book by the gastroenterologist Doctor Meron Jacyna of Saint Mark's Hospital, London, it's pronounced (3 syllables) Jah 'see nah (accent on the 2nd syllable).

Last edited:

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
Thanks for the very nice PM, Jed. I can't reply just yet - I need more posts.
I removed the phone number from my post. I don't know what I was thinking - of course I shouldn't post phone numbers here. My apologies.
Is there a way that you can do the same from the quote in your post?
Thanks,
John

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Silly of me - I have done so.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This is certainly not the right answer, but just for the record: it's a Polish surname and if he were Polish, it would be pronounced /'jat͡sɨna/.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is certainly not the right answer, but just for the record: it's a Polish surname and if he were Polish, it would be pronounced /'jat͡sɨna/.

You can almost guarantee that when English gets hold of a foreign name, the stress will be the first to go! I had a Polish schoolfriend called Patyna, and everyone (including him) said /pǝ'ti:nǝ/.

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
You can almost guarantee that when English gets hold of a foreign name, the stress will be the first to go! I had a Polish schoolfriend called Patyna, and everyone (including him) said /pǝ'ti:nǝ/.

b
Oh my. :oops: It's true what you say, but not in this case... I put the ' in the wrong place. It's /ja't͡sɨna/. A strange typo -- sorry. Polish has very strict rules of accentuation and almost all words are paroxytonic.

Arion

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Thank you all for your answers! :up:
Actually, 'my' Jacyna is Dr Stephen Jacyna of the University of Glasgow; anyway, I don't see why it shouldn't be pronounced the way you wrote... So I'll stick to your suggestions on the English pronounciation.
Thank you also for the etymological note :)

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Another new word for my collection, thank you.
Then you have just reached the unimaginable: a vocabulary of 175,001 words. :shock: ;-) :-D
I would have thought that "paroxytonic" is some cough syrup. :mrgreen: I salute you, BC, most impressive! :cool:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Then you have just reached the unimaginable: a vocabulary of 175,001 words. :shock: ;-) :-D
I would have thought that "paroxytonic" is some cough syrup. :mrgreen: I salute you, BC, most impressive! :cool:

That anti-convulsant syrup is pretty neat! :up: But there's another one where that came from - a 'proparoxytonic' word is stressed on the antepenultimate syllable. Spanish calls such words palabras esdrújulas, which is pleasingly self-referential. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.