[General] What are Infinite and Finite verbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranormality

Member Type
Student or Learner
:mrgreen:Hello,
I feel like an idiot for asking this, but simply have no other option. :oops:
I am a grade 6 learner who normal gets high 80-90% for English but I can't seem to grasp this one topic. This topic is Finite and Infinite verbs. I don't understand what the difference and need to know what they are used for. I will also be required to under line the finite ir infinite verb in a sentence in my finals. Eg: Jhon likes to hike. I cannot do this right now and require they help of a teacher or someone who could help me out. I need this by tommorow afternoon at the latest as the final is on Monday. I know what a verb is and so don't need that explained. Please help me out! :-D
-Paranormality xoxo
sorry I am a :n00b:!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I am a grade 6 learner who normal gets high 80-90% for English but I can't seem to grasp this one topic. This topic is Finite and Infinite verbs. I don't understand what the difference and need to know what they are used for. I will also be required to under line the finite ir infinite verb in a sentence in my finals. Eg: Jhon likes to hike. I cannot do this right now and require they help of a teacher or someone who could help me out. I need this by tommorow afternoon at the latest as the final is on Monday. I know what a verb is and so don't need that explained. Please help me out! :-D
-Paranormality xoxo
You might be thinking that some verbs are finite and some infinite. This is wrong. These are terms used to define forms of all verbs.
All verbs can have finite and non-finite forms. ("Infinite" is the wrong word. The "infinitive" is a non-finite form. If your teacher is using the term 'infinite', you'll have to work out whether s/he means the infinitive or 'non-finite', since not all non-finite forms are the infinitive.)

Pick any verb - "walk"
"to walk" is the infinitive form of the verb.
"I walked along the street" Walked is a finite form.
As indicated by the rather spartan page Rover has referred you to,
the gerund, walking and the participles walked (as in 'He has walked') and walking (as in 'He was walking') are also non-finite forms.

Here's another page: You can search for more, but don't look for "infinite verbs"
More on Finite and Non-finite verbs « English Practice – Learn and Practice English Online

corum

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary

A finite verb (sometimes called main verbs)
Modal auxiliaries, which are never main verbs, are finite verbs. :)

is a verb that has a subject
Non-finite verbs have their subjects (implicit or explicit) too!

...has a subject, this means that it can be the main verb in a sentence
What the red part needs is a semicolon.

It shows tense (past / present etc) [STRIKE]or[/STRIKE] and number (singular / plural).

A non-finite verb has no subject,
11.gif
Not true!

the infinitive (indicated by to)
Sometimes indicated, sometimes not.

(To improve is in the infinitive form).
(I)mprove is the infinitive form.

http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/verbfinitenon.htm
11.gif

27.gif

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
-Paranormality xoxo

***** NOT A TEACHER ***** ONLY MY OPINION

Paranormality,

You are very intelligent because you came here for help from the

excellent teachers. Two of them gave you links. If you study

those links, I am sure that you will get a good grade on your test.

For example, if you study what the second link teaches, you will

have 100% confidence in doing a sentence such as:

John likes to hike.

John = subject

likes = finite verb (because the verb "like" changes its form -- adds an "s" to agree with the subject "John." As you know, "John like" is bad English. It needs an "s."

to hike = nonfinite verb (because "to hike" never changes its form: John likes to hike; John and Mary like to hike).

By the way, one of my books says that "infinite" is an old-fashioned

word for "nonfinite."

Please identify the verb with CAPITAL letters as finite or nonfinite:

(1) A book WRITTEN by an angel. (from Descriptive English Grammar, House and Harman)

(2) OPEN the door. (from Longman English Grammar)

(3) I had WALKED. (from The Columbia Guide to Standard American English)

(4) It IS an ill wind that BLOWS nobody any good. (from Grammar by James R. Hurford)

(5) Edgar, STRIKING Stanley, HURT his hand. (from Understanding Grammar by Paul Roberts)

(6) Mac ORDERED me TO COME at ten o'clock. (from A Grammar of
Present-Day English, Pence and Emery)

***** Answers

(1) nonfinite. "Written" is a past participle. It does not change its form.
One book/ one thousand books written.
(2)finite. This is an order. The subject is "You." The verb "open" has to agree with "You." That is: You open (NOT: opens).
(3)nonfinite. "Walked" is a past participle. It does not change. Had/has/have walked. (P.S. But HAD WALKED is finite, because I have to change the verb "have" to the past for good English if I want to refer to the past.)
(4)Both are finite. "Is" agrees with "It," and "blows" has an "s" to match "that."
(5)The first is nonfinite because "striking" is an -ing word that never changes. The second is finite because "hurt" has to agree with the subject. "Edgar" is "he" and it's past, so we must say "hurt," not "hurts."
(6)The first is finite. It's past, so "order" was changed to "orderED." The second one is nonfinite because the infinitive never changes: ME to come, THEM to come, THE SOLDIERS to come.

Good luck. Please let us all know all you did on your test.

***** NOT A TEACHER ***** ONLY MY OPINION

P.S. While I was typing, another person posted helpful information for you. Everyone here wants you to do well on the test!!!

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What the red part needs is a semicolon.

11.gif
Not true!

27.gif

It might be more helpful to learners, Corum, if you could give some positive tips rather than just mocking what you perceive to be the shortcomings of others. We are here to help learners, not put down others or show off how we can make clever moving things in our posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.