Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Which usage is correct? She finds out that he is an English and pleased with it and thought to herself:

Nay, he is an English!

Aye, he is an English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Which usage is correct? She finds out that he is an English and pleased with it and thought to herself:

Nay, he is an English!

Aye, he is an English.

Neither "Nay" nor "Aye" really makes sense, unless there is some other context we are missing which would explain why she was using rather outdated terms for "no" and "yes". We also don't say "an English". We say "He is English" or "He is an Englishman".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why do you want to use nay/aye? They would both sound strange, and neither works here IMO.

a_vee

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Costa Rica
Yeah, nay and aye are extremely outdated.
If the girl is disagreeing with her previous opinion:

No, he's English (or "an Englishman").

If the girl is receiving confirmation of her previous opinion:

Yes, he's English (or "an Englishman").

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Sorry, I did a mistake. I'm asking for an exclamation refers to Wow, wonderful, moreover, furthermore.

a_vee

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Costa Rica
Sorry, I did a mistake. I'm asking for an exclamation refers to Wow, wonderful, moreover, furthermore.

We make mistakes-you made a mistake.

An exclamation that is similar to "wow" and rhymes with aye and nay is "yea". As an exclamation, this expression is quite informal. It is almost equal to "hooray",:-? but I may be totally confused about what you are asking now.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In many BE dialects, 'aye (pronounced eye) and 'nay' – for yes and no – are alive and well.

Compare the AE equivalents 'yeah' and 'nah'.

Rover

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
We make mistakes-you made a mistake.

An exclamation that is similar to "wow" and rhymes with aye and nay is "yea". As an exclamation, this expression is quite informal. It is almost equal to "hooray",:-? but I may be totally confused about what you are asking now.
"Yea" is as outdated as "nay" when it means yes. Are you talking about "yay"? I think some people do use the spelling "yea" for "yay", but no dictionary I know does.

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
In many BE dialects, 'aye (pronounced eye) and 'nay' – for yes and no – are alive and well.

Compare the AE equivalents 'yeah' and 'nah'.

Rover

Hi Rover,

I had only seen these expressions used in certain literary/poetic contexts, as well as in Parliamentary votes. I didn't think they were still in use anywhere else. But I was wrong, methinks ;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Yea" is as outdated as "nay" when it means yes. Are you talking about "yay"? I think some people do use the spelling "yea" for "yay", but no dictionary I know does.

This is just what I was thinking. I use "yay" as an alternative to "Hurrah!" It has become much more common in BrE in the last few years. I use it both in written and spoken English, though not in formal situations.

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I think the word which I was searching was "yay" but also it may be not. So I give you more information about my context.

Ella is a Dutch girl and one day when she was leaning of a ship's deck railings, she sees a pair of dolphins which jumping out of waters in the distance. She immediately shuts her eyes and makes a wish, because she believes in seeing dolphins brings good luck. She wishes "I hope one day I'll meet a handsome Englishman, marry with him and live in England."

When her eyes still shut, she hears a man's voice who says her "Hello."

When she openes her eyes and looks at her side, she sees a goodlooking young man and she thinks to herself "What a handsome man." And when the young man continue the speaking to her with English accent, she thinks to herself: "Yay (or moreover) he's English!" Maybe her wish already was starting to come true.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think "Yay" would fit if you want it to show her pleasure and excitement at the fact that he is English. It does mean "moreover" though. She would be able to think "Yay! Not only is he handsome but, moreover, he's English!"

Status
Not open for further replies.