Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,
Is there any British equivalent for 'baloney' or 'bologna'?

Thanks!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi there,
Is there any British equivalent for 'baloney' or 'bologna'?

Thanks!

In which meaning? Where a New Yorker would say 'That's baloney' a stereotypical Englishman might say 'I could be wrong, old chap, but I think you may have got the wrong end of the bally old proverbial, doncherknow?'. ;-)

But when it comes to the naming of spiced sausages, the English as a whole have fairly limited vocabulary - salami, chorizo, and Bratwurst are about it. If the context makes it clear that you are talking about charcuterie, 'balony' can be used sometimes. (I've only met bologna in a very (self-consciously) 'precious' context - a book about fashionablle delicatessen food).

b

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In which meaning? Where a New Yorker would say 'That's baloney' a stereotypical Englishman might say 'I could be wrong, old chap, but I think you may have got the wrong end of the bally old proverbial, doncherknow?'. ;-)

But when it comes to the naming of spiced sausages, the English as a whole have fairly limited vocabulary - salami, chorizo, and Bratwurst are about it. If the context makes it clear that you are talking about charcuterie, 'balony' can be used sometimes. (I've only met bologna in a very (self-consciously) 'precious' context - a book about fashionablle delicatessen food).

b

Thanks. Indeed I wondered if there was a specific noun used by the British speakers refering to this food.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Baloney.bmp
    33 KB · Views: 7

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thanks. Indeed I wondered if there was a specific noun used by the British speakers refering to this food.

Polony.

polony [pəˈləʊnɪ]

(Cookery) Brit. another name for bologna sausage
(The Free Dictionary)

Rover

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

b

Blech. Bologna is in no way fashionable, in my humble opinion. Maybe I'm prejudiced because the mere thought of bologna triggers my gag reflex, but to my mind high-end delicatessen food means prosciutto, corned beef, pastrami, etc. Bologna is in the same el disgusto category with olive loaf and Spam. :2gunfire: (Mr. Ouisch loves both bologna and Spam and dares to call me "pretentious." Pish-tosh, I say!)

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But have you tried it fried?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As a vegetarian (for 21 years!) all of those make me feel slightly nauseous but even in my omnivorous days, I wouldn't have touched Spam!

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Blech. Bologna is in no way fashionable, in my humble opinion. Maybe I'm prejudiced because the mere thought of bologna triggers my gag reflex, but to my mind high-end delicatessen food means prosciutto, corned beef, pastrami, etc. Bologna is in the same el disgusto category with olive loaf and Spam. :2gunfire: (Mr. Ouisch loves both bologna and Spam and dares to call me "pretentious." Pish-tosh, I say!)

She's right, it's the cheapest of pseudo-luncheon meats. At least over here.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But have you tried it fried?

Eew. :shocked!: That was always my Dad's go-to lunch when Mom wasn't around to cook for him - a fried bologna sandwich. I figured he ate them either because it was the only thing he knew how to cook, or because he grew up during the Great Depression and it tasted like steak compared to a piece of stale bread crust dipped in lard. :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
She's right, it's the cheapest of pseudo-luncheon meats. At least over here.
I knew the picture reminded me of something. Luncheon meat. I used to love that when I was a child. I can't think why.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
(Mr. Ouisch loves both bologna and Spam and dares to call me "pretentious." Pish-tosh, I say!)

I can't help feeling that Spam is not a question of taste. I wouldn't feed it to an enemy's dog. :-D

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I can't figure out why Spam is still in the market while being universally loathed. I look forward to trying it if I ever get the chance of travelling. I know I hate bologna, known over here by its Italian name, mortadela (original with double l).

Status
Not open for further replies.