Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
I was told the verb tense used in this sentence was correct and I find it hard to understand why.

"Her brother is always joking and makes everybody laugh".
I can't find an explanation for the use of the continuous aspect before for me "always" indicates repetition requiring thus Present Simple and I don't perceive it as an irritating situation either.
Thank you.

swankydoo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
We can use Present Continuous to describe annoying actions, or habits. We use it when we want to highlight the fact that we don't like something.
...Jack is always snoring.
...Mary is always making fun of me!

The sentences would be perfectly fine in Present Simple:
...Jack always snores.
...Mary always makes fun of me.
However, when we use Present Simple we just state something without any personal attachement.

mihallure

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Thank for your answer. My sentence though doesn't denote something annoying.
It's meant to be a compliment "My brother is always joking and makes everybody laugh." Is it correct to use the continuous aspect here?

swankydoo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'd say no.

P.S. Will you drop the book already? ;)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank for your answer. My sentence though doesn't denote something annoying.
It's meant to be a compliment "My brother is always joking and makes everybody laugh." Is it correct to use the continuous aspect here?

It's OK. It would be better as "My brother is always joking; he makes everybody laugh".

Last edited:

mihallure

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Yes, that's what I would also want to find out. I've never read in any grammar book about this use of the continuous aspect with the adverb "always".
I've already dropped that book.:) I wrote in a previous thread about a English grammar book written by a Romanian and containing a lot of mistakes.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Yes, that's what I would also want to find out. I've never read in any grammar book about this use of the continuous aspect with the adverb "always".
I've already dropped that book.:) I wrote in a previous thread about a English grammar book written by a Romanian and containing a lot of mistakes.

"My brother is always singing", "My sister is always knitting", "My dog is always barking" etcetera.

mihallure

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
I'm really sorry for insisting but it's still hard for me to understand. I've searched in both Oxford and Cambridge dictionaries and some grammar books and I haven't found this use yet.
I'm only familiar with the continuous aspect associated with "always" denoting annoying situations.
I don't perceive "My brother is always singing" as being an irritating situation so I would use the simple aspect. I've always been told that for repetead actions (not annoying ones) we should use Present Simple.
Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In post #2, you were told it's used for annoying actions and for habits. I can't help what you find or don't find in dictionaries or online but we can certainly tell you how we actually use the language and I can assure you that we regularly use "always + present continuous" to denote a habit or regular occurrence.

He sings all the time.
He sings a lot.
He sings almost all the time.
He is always singing!

She smiles a lot.
She smiles almost all the time.
She's always smiling! It's lovely!

mihallure

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
I'm sorry. I thought the 2nd post referred to "annoying actions and (annoying) habits". I apologised for having exagerated with so many questions on the same topic, but I was intrigued by the fact that I haven't read this informatikn anywhere. Everything is clearer now.
Thank you all again.

swankydoo

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
It did refer to annyoing habits so there's no need for apologising.
emsr2d2 thank you for clearing the issue up. No grammar books can ever keep up with the language. :)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Take a look at this thread in Word Reference Forums: http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=1130786

The first quotes Advanced Grammar in Use, which (correctly) states ""to emphasise that something is done so often that it is characteristic of a person, group or thing".

Or this site:
http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/english-grammar/verbs/present-tense/present-continuous
Which says:

• for something which happens again and again:
It’s always raining in London.
They are always arguing.
George is great. He’s always laughing.

Note: We normally use always with this use.

Status
Not open for further replies.