Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Bosnia Herzegovina
1. Since I was a child, I have always wanted to live abroad as soon as I finished university and had the money to move.
2. Since I was a child, I have always wanted to live abroad as soon as I finish university and have the money to move.

Hello, teachers!
I'd like to know in what situation should I use the first one and in what situation the second one.

Does the first one imply that I've already finished the university and now I live abroad or am going to live abroad soon, while the second one implies that I have not finished the university yet, but I am still studying or I'm about to begin studying?

Thank you!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They're both unnatural. I definitely wouldn't use "Since I was a child" and "I have always wanted" together. Drop the opening phrase.

I've always wanted to move abroad after university, once I have enough money. (This could be said before or after finishing university.)
I want to move abroad after university, once I have enough money. (This is more likely to be said while you're at university.)

(Note: Please don't use the "Report" function to try to get people to answer your question.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have probably never said "I have always...." Why? It's never true. Maybe I would say, for example, "Since I was a young child I have wanted to be a pilot of an airplane."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have probably never said "I have always...." Why? It's never true. Maybe I would say, for example, "Since I was a young child I have wanted to be a pilot of an airplane."
You might not have said it but it's a common enough phrase. It's rarely meant to be taken literally. Of course, one could say "For as long as I can remember, I have wanted ..." but it's much wordier and everyone knows what "I've always wanted ..." means.