Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
If you want to address to a lady and you say "Ms". Is it because you don't know wether a woman is married or not? Or It's just because you are being correct because you don't know if she lives in a common law marriage or not?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you want to address to a lady and you say "Ms". Is it because you don't know wether a woman is married or not? Or It's just because you are being correct because you don't know if she lives in a common law marriage or not?

There have been several threads on this forum regarding the use of Ms, Miss or Mrs.

If you know for a fact that someone is not married, then the only word you would not use is Mrs.

If you don't know her marital status, then you can use Ms.

If you know for a fact that she is not married, then you can use Miss.

A common-law marriage (in the UK at least) does not generally lead to the use of Mrs, though some women might choose to change their surname to that of their husband, and use "Mrs" but it's personal choice.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
There have been several threads on this forum regarding the use of Ms, Miss or Mrs.

If you know for a fact that someone is not married, then the only word you would not use is Mrs.

If you don't know her marital status, then you can use Ms.

If you know for a fact that she is not married, then you can use Miss.

A common-law marriage (in the UK at least) does not generally lead to the use of Mrs, though some women might choose to change their surname to that of their husband, and use "Mrs" but it's personal choice.
:up:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The idea of the feminists who invented "Ms" is that you use it for all women and then you don't have to try to figure out if someone is married or not when you are addressing them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The idea of the feminists who invented "Ms" is that you use it for all women and then you don't have to try to figure out if someone is married or not when you are addressing them.

Feminists or otherwise, I like it. Personally, I don't see why it should be anyone else's business if a woman is married or not!

But for the purposes of this exercise, it's true that if you address all women as "Ms" there are probably few that you would annoy, other than those who particularly want to be addressed as "Mrs" and those who actively dislike the term "Ms".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I prefer it too as I don't have to think about forms to use.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I prefer it nowadays: I don't think marriage (or lack of it) should reflect on my social "status". As my sister said to her husband, when he picks a title other than "Mr" for people to use now he's married, she'll start using Mrs instead of Ms.

Personally I stick to "Miss" for under 18s, and "Ms" from that point on, just as I do with "Master" and "Mr" - although I think "Master" is dropping out of common usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.