German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello,
There is one Simpson episode that has the name:
The way we was.

Although I guess was belongs to way, it sounds very weird to me.
Is this sentence really correct?

"The way we were" sounds much better to my ears, but maybe it's because I'm German and in German it would be were.
(If you would completely translate it.)

Thank you!

Cheers!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, in correct grammar, it absolutely would be "The way we were." I'm sure there was something in the episode that made this deliberate manipulation of the grammar make sense.

Remember - don't use songs or tv/movie dialog as the standard for correct grammar. Your understanding of English is definitely good enough that you can tell when things are wrong!

Shenfeng

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hey,

you are correct when you say that it must be "The way we were". It is something you would say when looking back on a time where you were only just beginning something. In German we would say something like "So wie wir waren" or "Wie alles begann".
There is also a movie with Robert Redford by that name.

In colloquial American English 'were' is sometimes exchanged with 'was':

(1) We was hitchhiking down a lonesome road.
(2) I wish I was a little bit taller.

I think this emerged from the Hip-Hop/Rap scene, either because it is perceived to sound 'cool' by a certain group of people or because it facilitates intonation. I guess it is both.

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hello,
The way we was.

"The way we were" sounds much better to my ears, but maybe it's because I'm German and in German it would be were.

Thank you!

Cheers!

It should be "were" but I remember reading somewhere that in non-standard English people use "was" for both plural and singular.

The other thing I can think about is that as the title of the chapter makes reference to the film "The way we were" maybe they couldn't/wouldn't copy the exact title as it was. (but that might be irrelevant:-D)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(1) We was hitchhiking down a lonesome road.
(2) I wish I was a little bit taller.

I'd like to differentiate between these examples.

1 sounds awful to me, is clearly sub-standard, and a mark of a lack of education (or any desire to sound educated). There are few native speakers who do not know how to properly conjugate the verb "to be" who who don't know that "we" takes "were." If I were writing fiction and had to write dialog to show someone was poorly educated, this is how I'd have them talk.

2 is a different case. Many otherwise well-educated people don't understand the subjunctive. We say "I was the tallest girl in my class" so why wouldn't they say "If I was a little bit taller"? They simply don't know that it becomes "were" in the subjunctive.

There's an excuse of "If I was" because we say "I was" in simple past. (There's no excuse for "We was.")

Shenfeng

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hey Barb,

thanks for the differentiation. I know about how people can't get the subjunctive right. We have the same problem in German. I don't find it that problematic, since it happens to me quite a lot, too.

Do you really think that those people saying for example 'we was' just don't know any better? Of course, there certainly are people who can't conjugate properly, but I also think this is some kind of a trend, where people deliberately say things incorrectly, because their milieu expects them to (e.g. in Rap music).

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Shenfeng, you may be right. But since I can't stand listening to rap music either, it all sound awful to me!

Shenfeng

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Shenfeng, you may be right. But since I can't stand listening to rap music either, it all sound awful to me!

Good point:up:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello,
The way we was.

Thank you!

Cheers![/QUOTE

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good afternoon.

(1) Many years ago, I told a group that it is terrible how some popular songs "murder" the language.

(a) My example was: "She don't love me."

(b) A young man spoke up and said: Perhaps you don't understand. Sometimes in a song, a one syllable word like "don't" fits better than a two-syllable word like "doesn't." It's a matter of rhythm.

(c) I learned a well-deserved lesson in humility that day.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Another example of that is "Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones. We all know you can't have a double negative in sentence, yet "I can't get no satisfaction" is repeated over and over in the song. "I can't get any satisfaction" would not have scanned properly.

Song lyrics and poetry are regularly guilty of poor grammar for precisely the reason of the rhythm being more important.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thank you, guys.
However, lyrics and Simpsons are nothing a like.
It's just the title of the episode where they talk about their past :)
(Before they got married.)

It's a bit off-topic but in some other forums I read this:
I was looking at a funny side, and this side was you.
So, maybe this was belongs to side, and our was belongs to way...

However, you say it has to be were, so our (from the main topic) was belongs to we, which should be were :up:

Cheers!

kfredson

Member Type
Academic
Another example of that is "Satisfaction" by The Rolling Stones. We all know you can't have a double negative in sentence, yet "I can't get no satisfaction" is repeated over and over in the song. "I can't get any satisfaction" would not have scanned properly.

Song lyrics and poetry are regularly guilty of poor grammar for precisely the reason of the rhythm being more important.

I would say that the Stones got many of us out of our grammatical ruts, although precious little satisfaction it brought us!

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
I would say that the Stones got many of us out of our grammatical ruts, although precious little satisfaction it brought us!

I guess that more than a question of a lack of education is a desire to sound "cool" as rappers or rock stars:-D.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
By the way:
There is a song from Timbaland called:
The Way I Are.
It's strange, isn't it? :)

Cheers!

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By the way:
There is a song from Timbaland called:
The Way I Are.
It's strange, isn't it? :)

Cheers!

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Good morning, nightmare.

(1) You have raised some great points. I wish American youth were as interested in good grammar as you are.

(2) This side (singular subject) + was (singular verb to match singular subject) + complement (you, Tom, his friend, etc. The complement does not decide the verb. The subject decides the verb).

(a) SO: You (subject) + are/were (verb matches the subject) + complement (this side, the winner, etc.).

(i) Yes, some people ask: Why can't I say "You is/was"? After all, "you" is singular in those sentences above.

(a) Many years ago, English speakers decided that "you" (singular or plural) must take are/were. That's the rule. If a person breaks that rule, he must pay the "price," such as not getting a certain job, not getting respect from other people, etc.

I notice that you are still unsure about "The way we were."

(i) Professors Pence and Emery in A GRAMMAR OF PRESENT-DAY ENGLISH explain that the "full" sentence is:

The way (in which)/ (that) we were. (As you can see, the subject is "we.")

(a) Let's make up a sentence: Tom does not like today's world. He likes the way (in which)/(that) things were when he was younger. (As you can see, "were" matches "things" -- not "way."

"The Way I are" is, of course, "bad" English. They probably chose that title because it gets our attention!!! It certainly does!!!

(a) But even here, we must be very humble.

(i) For example, it is considered good English to say, "I am your best friend, AREn't I?" (It's too long to say, "I am your best friend, AM I not?")

Have a nice day!

Status
Not open for further replies.