Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Hi Dear all,

Could somebody explain the following sentence in a very simple way? I have tried dictionaries but still do not have a clear idea due to the two words used in the sentence. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

(The MUN programs provide students a better understanding of the inner working of the united nations as they build skills in diplomacy and compromise.)

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The best definition of diplomacy I have ever seen is implied in this: war is the continuation of diplomacy by other means. Compromise you can look up in any dictionary.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
I have tried a number of times in dictionaries. It's okay. Somebody else may be able to provide a better explanation.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What is the source of that badly-written quotation, which should be in inverted commas – not brackets?

What's MUN?

You needn't have changed 'anybody' to 'somebody'.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Okay! next time I will put example sentences in inverted commas. And MUN stands for MODEL UNITED NATIONS.

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
After checking dictionaries in order to get the exact and suitable meaning of "diplomacy" I think I got one. Here according to the context, could "skill in the management of international relations and tact, skill, or cunning in dealing with people" be taken as the meaning of the word "diplomacy" and does it fit to my sentence? There are a few meanings for diplomacy. So I am very confused about which meaning would fit to the word "diplomacy". Still I am not familiar with meaning the meaning of "compromise" but I am still checking dictionaries.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The best definition of diplomacy I have ever seen is implied in this: war is the continuation of diplomacy by other means. Compromise you can look up in any dictionary.

The you may not have heard this one:

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you can find a rock." -- Will Rogers.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
International organisations like the UN are very complex politically. People have to be diplomatic to have the most positive relations with other states and have to accept that they may not get 100% of what they want, so will have to settle for less or make concessions and agree to things they don't like in order to reach an agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.