Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is it OK to say so? Does it mean the same as I haven't eaten since morning? :-?Thank you in advance.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you, Bhaisahab, and what's the difference? As far as I understand, the most typical situation is when a person is hungry, because he hasn't eaten since morning. And what about "haven't been eating since morning"? Why can't it be used in this situation, too? What can be the context for "haven't been eating since morning"? Who could use it and under which circumstances?

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
The present perfect puts the focus on the consequence and not the action itself, and it is relevant in the present at the time of saying it. So you're correct in saying it answers something like why a person is hungry - because they haven't eaten since the morning.

The present perfect progressive puts the focus on the action itself, and specifically that it started in the past and is still going on. If you say your sentence in the positive "I have been eating since morning," you're saying that since the morning you've been continually snacking and eating, pretty much without stop. In the negative "I haven't been eating since the morning," you're saying that you haven't spent your entire day eating food. So it feels weird that you would have to point this out since it's rare for people to eat constantly and continually all day long.

Other examples could be: If you stopped taking baths long ago to take showers instead, "I haven't taken a bath since I was 12 years old" is correct. "I haven't been taking a bath since I was 12 years old" is incorrect, very few people take 20 year long baths, there's no reason to say this.

Today is Saturday and you could say "I haven't talked on the phone since Wednesday." However "I haven't been talking on the phone since Wednesday" is incorrect, unless somebody just accused you of being on the phone for the past four days straight.

Is that clear?

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

FreeToyInside

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
The context you're likely to often hear negative present perfect progressive in is probably something like saying lately you don't do something habitually as much as you did before (haven't been doing something as much as before), or haven't been doing something recently that you should be doing or maybe expect yourself to be doing.

"Lately I haven't been talking to my friends as much as I used to."

"I haven't been exercising like I'm supposed to."

"I heard you haven't been going to work very much lately."

"Your teacher says you haven't been paying much attention in class."

(not a teacher, just a language lover)

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Dear FreeToyinside, thank you very much! It's become as clear as day to me with your help!:)

englishhobby

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
With your last post in mind, it came on me suddenly: Strange! I haven't been eating as much as usual since morning. )))

Thank you!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
With your last post in mind, it came on me suddenly: Strange! I haven't been eating as much as usual since morning. )))

Thank you!
No.

It's possible in "I haven't been eating as much as usual in the mornings".

Status
Not open for further replies.