I haven't been waiting/I haven't waited for you since morning.

Vladv1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I know that when an action started in the past and continues up to the present, one should use Present Perfect Continious if the sentence is affirmative, eg. "I have been waiting you since morning", but if the sentence is negative, should I say "I have not been waiting you since morning or "I haven't waited for you since morning"? What's the difference. Or "I have not been playing football since childhood " I haven't played football since childhood". The examples are mine.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know that when an action started in the past and continues up to the present, one should use the present perfect continuous if the sentence is affirmative, e.g. "I have been waiting for you since morning", but if the sentence is negative, should I say "I have not been waiting for you since morning" or "I haven't waited for you since morning"? What's the difference? Or
Don't capitalise the names of tenses.
In what situation would you need to tell someone that you haven't been waiting for them since morning?
Should I say "I have not been playing football since childhood" or "I haven't played football since childhood"?
Only the second works.
The examples are mine.
Thank you for providing the source in post #1.

Vladv1

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks. The situation is- A pal comes and says " Sorry, you have waited for me since morning" and I answer "No I have not been watiting since morning/haven't waited since morning

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thanks. The situation is- A pal comes and says " Sorry, you have waited for me since morning" and I answer "No I have not been watiting since morning/haven't waited since morning
A more likely exchange is:

A: Sorry you have been waiting for me since this morning.
B: I haven't (been watiting since this morning (, only since one o'clock).