Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
;-)

Take out three and the second one will work.

:wink:

That was me posting as guest for some reason. ;-)

That's one of my main doubts using verbs. Could you explain the right way to use this?
I can say: "I've been using to do.....", but when?

It would be very dificult to use your example. With action vebrs, the present perfect progressive is normally used to show that something began in the pas and is not complete. With the email examples, the speed of the action would generally indicate that it is finished. I culd say 'I've been sending him emails for several days and he hasn't replied'. Here, the action is incomplete because I wil send more emails until he replies. However, with 3 emails, you have basically sent them or not. ;-)

tdol said:
It would be very dificult to use your example. With action vebrs, the present perfect progressive is normally used to show that something began in the pas and is not complete. With the email examples, the speed of the action would generally indicate that it is finished. I culd say 'I've been sending him emails for several days and he hasn't replied'. Here, the action is incomplete because I wil send more emails until he replies. However, with 3 emails, you have basically sent them or not. ;-)

Ok, very good explanation! Tks.
Now I have no more reason to make mistakes about it...

I wish you luck with it.;-)

HI!

I choosed the first alternative: I have sent", but I wasn;t sure..:?:

You're right, Isra. ;-)

Hi,
I'm a new member of this group and I'd like to partecipate to this poll.
In your example: I have sent 3 e-mails today , could I use I sent instead of I have sent ?
Thanks

hey,
the answer goes like that:

i have been trying to choose the right answer all day long ,yet, i didn't manage to do that .

was that right?;-)

I would like to recomend you an excellent grammar book 'How English Works'-Oxford .There is a very good explanation for Present Perfect

Of course the correct answer is :
have sent => Present perfect

But ,
have been sending => present perfect continuous

I agree with Todl because it is very hard to say the correct answer and we don't have the specific action.....

anyway thanks for getting examples...
Murtadha Ali

It doesn't work for me, because the action sounds complete; I have sent the email. However, if you had many messages, you could say 'I have been sending emails all morning'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back