"porter" and "trolley" in US airports...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,

In US, when in an airport ith heavy luggage, which exact help point should one go to ask for assistance (a porter?!) or a trolley? Is there any special way of making such a request?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE porters at airports are called 'skycaps'. They're usually found at the curbside check-in counters where passengers are dropped off.

Just make eye contact with one of them, and they'll usually offer to help with your luggage. Otherwise just wave at one and ask "Can you help me with my luggage" or "Could I get some help with my bags, please?" They'll of course expect a tip and possibly a fee. Since I've never used one, I can't say how much they cost or what the normal tip amount is.

You can usually rent luggage carts for a fee as well. Many airports have them in self-service racks for a fee. Again, I've never used one, but I think they typically cost something like $2-3 dollars, but don't quote me on that.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No such person exists at British airports. You can help yourself to a trolley but there aren't any staff you can approach for help with your luggage. If you are elderly or infirm, you can request "Special Assistance" but you have to book this in advance. When you arrive at the airport, you go to the "Special Assistance" desk and give your name and you and your luggage are then transported to the gate on a motorised buggy.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Note: BrE trolley (airport or supermarket) = AmE cart.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Mehrgan said:
(a porter?)

NOT A TEACHER

Hello, Mehrgan

If you ever visit the United States, never, ever use the term "porter" to refer to that job classification.

(When I was young, American trains that had sleeping accommodations had men who were called porters. Their job was to attend to the passengers who had sleeping accommodations. There are still a few sleeper trains left in the United States, but I do not know whether the term "porter" is still used for that job classification. In any event, your using that word at the airport could possibly offend some modern-day skycaps.)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Don't worry about this. The word porter has fallen out of use. No one will know what you mean if you use it, but if you do, you won't offend anyone.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And you could also offend a brewer selling stouts, rather than porters, with roughly the same dastardly consequences. :roll:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You can usually rent luggage carts for a fee as well. Many airports have them in self-service racks for a fee. Again, I've never used one, but I think they typically cost something like $2-3 dollars, but don't quote me on that.

I have visited many countries, but I have never paid a cent for a luggage cart.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And you could also offend a brewer selling stouts, rather than porters, with roughly the same dastardly consequences. :roll:

According to Wikipedia: While there is a great deal of disagreement in the brewing world on this subject, there are no differences between stout and porter historically (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stout)

The lack of disagreement sounds very dangerous to me. :cheers:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I have visited many countries, but I have never paid a cent for a luggage cart.

You will if you come to Manchester Airport: £1 or €2 — non-refundable.

Or perhaps you mean you pull your bags along behind you.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I was in Manchester a few months ago but I went by train.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's a charge made for luggage trolleys at many airports now though a lot of them use a system where you only have to insert a coin to release the trolley from its station and when you return it, you get your coin back.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
According to Wikipedia: While there is a great deal of disagreement in the brewing world on this subject, there are no differences between stout and porter historically (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stout)

Like a lack of difference has ever prevented somebody from being offended about something. In fact, I'm offended by the lack of nuanced distinction here. :lol:

(NB: Heavy sarcasm in this post)

Status
Not open for further replies.