• Thread starter kltakky
  • Start date
  • Views : 232,135
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kltakky

Dear teachers,

MsWord prompts me 'fragment revise' when I type 'Looking forward to your reply?'. Could you please tell me how it should be corrected? And what other way I could express the urge of getting a reply from someone in a polite and formal manner?

Thank you for the help and time spent on this.

Best wishes,
Kltakky

looking forward

"Looking forward to your reply" is okay. It's a standard if not common closing in letters.

The problem here is MicroSoft. :grab: They need to udpdate their grammar checker so as to add exceptions like "looking forward to your reply".

It's a fragment alright: It doesn't have a subject; but, when it's used as a closing, it's perfectly acceptable.

The Microsft grammar check is notoriously weak. Many of its suggestions are wrong and others are pointless. Their thesaurus is a bit dodgy too- they suggest 'son' is a synonym of 'dughter', which leaves me wondering. I never have the grammar check turned on. The spell check is wonderful, though. ;-)

spell check

:splat: computer keys :splat:

:oops: udpdate = update :oops:

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Re: spell check

Casiopea said:
:splat: computer keys :splat:

:oops: udpdate = update :oops:

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Does that work with Japanese?

:wink:

:lol: Cute. You actually had me thunking there for just a mo'. :lol:

Good on ya! :D You made my day. Thanx 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back