Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

Below sentence is referred from this link "cisco.com". I am not sure the meaning of "over" in the following sentence.
Note: ISR and ASA are two different products from Cisco.

So for example if a customer wants to run BGP to a provider they would want to choose an ISR over an ASA. Or if a customer wants to do some URL filtering they would choose an ASA and not an ISR.

For the highlighted sentence, does it mean A or B?:
A. they would want to choose an ISR, and they won't choose an ASA.
B. they would want to choose an ISR in addition to an ASA (choose both ISR and ASA).

I found a definition for "over and above" from Longman dictionary which may relate to the meaning of the above "over", but I not sure:
over and above: in addition to something

Please help to explain, thanks.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would ask Cisco. The sentence could mean either. On first reading I understood over to mean "in preference to".

fenglish

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
So, which is correct now? I prefer to B on first reading, but guess to A after reading remaining sentence (Or if a customer wants to do some URL filtering they would choose an ASA and not an ISR).

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would say A, for sure. The word over means in preference to or instead of.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So, which is correct now? I prefer to B on first reading, but guess to A after reading remaining sentence (Or if a customer wants to do some URL filtering they would choose an ASA and not an ISR).

Only Cisco can tell you which is correct. The writer would have meant that both devices are required if an ISR requires an ASA to run "over" (that is, in conjunction with). Otherwise, they meant that an ISR is a better choice than an ASA.

Status
Not open for further replies.