I choose to work as a tutor because I want to shape my vision ...

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

I wrote the following short paragraph:

I choose to work as a tutor because I want to shape my vision for the future, learning how to satisfy students' needs at different levels: Some students are in elementary school, and I can learn how to cope with them. Others are in high school, and I can learn what they need. All are very beneficial for development of my teaching skills.

I remember I wrote this in 2012, at that time I was just beginning to work as a tutor. However, when I wrote this, I already had worked as a tutor for a while.

a) I wonder if "chose" would be better instead of "choose".
b) I wonder if I need to say "visions" here.
c) I wonder if I need to use "schools" here because I use "students" in the sentence.
d) I wonder if "skill" is better than "skills".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.

I wrote the following short paragraph in 2012. At that time, I was just beginning to work as a tutor. However, when I wrote this, I already had worked as a tutor for a while. The underlined part is confusing. You've given us just one paragraph. Did you write it just as you began working as a tutor or when you'd already been working as a tutor for a while? It can't be both.

I choose to work as a tutor because I want to shape my vision for the future, learning how to satisfy students' needs at different levels: Some students are in elementary school, and I can learn how to cope with them. Others are in high school, and I can learn what they need. All are very beneficial for development of my teaching skills.

I remember I wrote this

a) I wonder if "chose" would be better instead of "choose". This depends on your answer to my question at the top.
b) I wonder if I need to say "visions" here. No. "Vision" is correct.
c) I wonder if I need to use "schools" here because I use "students" in the sentence. No. We use the singular here.
d) I wonder if "skill" is better than "skills". No. You have more than one teaching skill.
See my comments in blue above.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The underlined part is confusing. You've given us just one paragraph. Did you write it just as you began working as a tutor or when you'd already been working as a tutor for a while? It can't be both.
I'm sorry, emsr2d2, for not making myself clear.

I wrote that paragraph in around 2012 and I remember I had already worked as a tutor for like two months. I think both "chose" and "choose" are okay. Am I right? Because, yes, it took place, but in the recent past.

Please enlighten me.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can say "I chose" to emphasize the choice that you made in the past. Or, you can say "I choose" to emphasize that you continue to work as a tutor for these reasons.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Two things. One, where did you see the phrase "shape my vision"? Two, what do you mean when you say you want to learn how to cope with elementary school students?

Last edited: