Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How do you say in English, when you take a photo of someone and this photo is possible to be taken either for the sake of/to be held by the subject or the object? ( with the expression ' to take a photo', not the verb ' to photograph').
I mean the representation of dative in such a case.

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hello Yourek,

Would "to take a photo for someone" be the phrase you're looking for?

MrP

yourek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you MrP

This phrase restricts the result to the object, I'm afraid. My problem is to find an expression that respects both an object's and a subject's right to that
photo. To excuse myself: a proper phrase in Polish has inspired me to ask about it.

Yourek

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Thank you MrP

This phrase restricts the result to the object, I'm afraid. My problem is to find an expression that respects both an object's and a subject's right to that
photo. To excuse myself: a proper phrase in Polish has inspired me to ask about it.

Yourek

I tried hard to understand your two posts unsuccessfully. I really can't get what you are saying.

Suggestions: 1) write your proper Polish phrase in the google translator (Google Translate) and write here the output. Perhaps with this output we can help you. 2) Try to explain your point better here. I am sure there are many other members willing to help you. 3) Try the other languages forum, maybe someone who know Polish and English can help you.

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I agree that the original Polish phrase might help.

It's possible that a similarly ambiguous wording doesn't exist in English, though.

All the best,

MrP

yourek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I tried hard to understand your two posts unsuccessfully. I really can't get what you are saying.

Suggestions: 1) write your proper Polish phrase in the google translator (Google Translate) and write here the output. Perhaps with this output we can help you. 2) Try to explain your point better here. I am sure there are many other members willing to help you. 3) Try the other languages forum, maybe someone who know Polish and English can help you.

I agree with you that I am not quite clear. A few days let me see it. I wondered whether it is possible to have both 'photo of' and 'photo for' in the same relatively simple phrase.
Additionally, my clue with a dative was misleading.
And moreover, I made a transgression from Polish, because we 'make photos' in our language, not 'take them'. In English, you always TAKE your photo, so the phrase MrP presented finally has satisfied me.
The Polish phrase is "Zrobił zdjęcia Jankowi" (He took a photoes of John/ for John)
Let me stop beating around the bush and thank you all.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So the person will do two things: He will take a picture of John (John is the person in the picture). Then he will give that photo to John.

Is that right?

I don't think we have such a word.

yourek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
So the person will do two things: He will take a picture of John (John is the person in the picture). Then he will give that photo to John.

Is that right?

I don't think we have such a word.

Yes, that's right.
A slight difference is that he rather MAY give it to John.

MrPedantic

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I wonder whether this structure would suit your context:

1. He took Jim's picture for him.

For instance, if I am a tourist, and I want you to take a picture of me in front of the Taj Mahal, I hand you my camera and ask you "to take my picture for me":

2. I asked Yourek to take my picture for me in front of the Taj Mahal.

Best wishes,

MrP

yourek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I wonder whether this structure would suit your context:

1. He took Jim's picture for him.

For instance, if I am a tourist, and I want you to take a picture of me in front of the Taj Mahal, I hand you my camera and ask you "to take my picture for me":

2. I asked Yourek to take my picture for me in front of the Taj Mahal.

Best wishes,

MrP

The first phrase is really elegant but I think that your very first suggestion was the most complete, because the latter should rather be
' He took Jane's picture for her and for himself'

Best Regards
Yourek

Status
Not open for further replies.