Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
His take on the shows and the entire comic book subculture – while filled with stereotypes so clichéd that it made so-called computer nerds seem positively metropolitan – was nothing new: comic book people are geeky, dweeby, sexless onanists with no sense of the distaff and poor excuses for lives; Trekkies without the requiste hard-on for Shatner.

According to this site ( distaff - definition of distaff by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. ), distaff can mean "woman considered as a group". But is this what the author meant? To me it seems that he could have easily said "with no sense of woman..", without changing the meaning.

What does the dictionary mean by "as a group"? Does this mean woman in general?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. They have no women and have no sense of how to deal with them.

This is an archaic term, not in common use. I had to look it up.

The author could have phrased it some other way, but then he wouldn't get to show off the old word he knows.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
According to this site ( distaff - definition of distaff by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. ), distaff can mean "woman considered as a group". But is this what the author meant? To me it seems that he could have easily said "with no sense of woman..", without changing the meaning.

What does the dictionary mean by "as a group"? Does this mean woman in general?

Chicken - who wrote that drivel (containing two dashes, one colon and a semi-colon in one sentence)?
I had to look up BOTH 'onanists' and 'distaff'.
Imagine, two fifty-cent words in one sentence. Give the man a cigar. :twisted:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Chicken - who wrote that drivel (containing two dashes, one colon and a semi-colon in one sentence)?
I had to look up BOTH 'onanists' and 'distaff'.
Imagine, two fifty-cent words in one sentence. Give the man a cigar. :twisted:

Kevin Smith wrote that drivel. I've noticed that he uses a lot of weird words that I have never encountered. I think he does that, as mentioned above, to show that he knows a few words that no one really uses in everyday English.

I had to look up onanist too. Never heard of it, then again, I'm not a native speaker, jus a dedicated learner.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had to look up onanist too. Never heard of it, then again, I'm not a native speaker, jus a dedicated learner.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

In all fairness to the author, that word is rather elegant. The other word for that

activity is much too explicit and clinical. Not at all suitable for a family-friendly

website such as this. (I hear some authors used to write certain words in Latin, for

the English would have made English readers blush.)

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands

In all fairness to the author, that word is rather elegant. The other word for that

activity is much too explicit and clinical. Not at all suitable for a family-friendly

website such as this. (I hear some authors used to write certain words in Latin, for

Really? I don't think it's explicit at all. The Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English does not indicate that it's impolite. The phrasal verb that starts with the letter "j" on the other hand is considered impolite.

JohnParis

Member Type
Retired Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
France
I agree, Parser.
Perhaps it's my clinical background that doesn't make me flinch at the meaning of onanist, but by using words that few people know, the only thing the author accomplishes is to make the reader look up the word in a dictionary. And when he does, what does he see? The clinical term.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What kills me is that there are some people who think this passes for good writing!

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: The guy's obviously swallowed a dictionary.

I've only ever met 'onanist' in the context of a jokey name for a parrot, based on a quotation (King James bible?) about Onan who 'spilled his seed on the ground'. ;-)

And I've only met 'distaff' in the context of genealogy: 'Edgar was related to Jacob on the distaff side'.

b

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Really? I don't think it's explicit at all. The Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English does not indicate that it's impolite. The phrasal verb that starts with the letter "j" on the other hand is considered impolite.

(1) I apologize for not writing clearly. (As they say, writing one good sentence is

a very difficult task.)

(2) I meant:

Using the "O" word is better than using the "M" word. Of course, the "J" word

is definitely out of the question.

Now that's a clear sentence!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Just in case, I'm going to refer to the "M" word as the "M" word for the purposes of this question:

Are we really saying that the "M" word would be considered rude by members of this forum?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

That's an interesting discussion. I would have assumed "onanist" was a regular word. It is in my language (although it's used by angry columnists mostly).

I apologize to anybody who might be offended be the following part of my post. I'm going to use the full form of the "M-word" because I want to ask about two "M-words".

If "onanist" is not a word native speakers use, what would they use instead if they didn't want to use filthy language? I know the verb "masturbate" is in common use, but I had to take a peek into the dictionary to see whether the word "masturbator" existed. I have never seen or heard this word. Is it more common than "onanist"?

Also, isn't an onanist necessarily a male?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
BC, you will find people who have lived full and rich lives without ever once seeing that word.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
BC, you will find people who have lived full and rich lives without ever once seeing that word.
I'm sure I will and have. I'd still like to know which of the words I've mentioned is more common and by how far, though.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If a person has cause to discuss this activity, and this person is not in the medical professional, it will be one of the slang words. I can't recall ever having a discussion involving this, however.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In 65 years, I don't think I have ever used a noun, crude or formal, or heard one used. If it has ever been necessary to talk about the subject, we have spoken of a person who masturbates (or one of the slang words).

I have not infrequently heard the word 'w....er', but as a derogatory term for a person who is disliked in some way.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I also had to look up the word "onanist" having never heard or read it before. As the others have said, if the subject were to come up (no pun intended ;-)), I would expect to hear or use "masturbate" or "masturbator" although the latter is certainly less common.

In answer to birdeen's question about it being necessarily male, I can't find a definition which specifies a gender. I imagine that it is used to refer to a male the majority of the time, but if "onanism" simply means "masturbation" without specifying a method or a particular body part, then there is no reason why it shouldn't apply to a female too.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In support of my assertion, In BNC's 100 million word database 'distaff' occurs 11 times - nearly all in a genealogical context, with 7 cases of 'distaff side':

1 DISTAFF SIDE 7
2 DISTAFF DAY 2
3 DISTAFF POWER 1
4 DISTAFF FAMILIES 1

In COCA it occurs just over twice as often, but as the database is more than four times as big that suggests it's less common in America. 'Distaff side' is still the most common collocation (though by a less emphatic margin).

(See more here: British National Corpus (BYU-BNC).)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.