Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
What would you call a person who's thinking about profit all the time? Materialistic? Avaricious or acqusitive?

Last edited:

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
What would you call a person who's thinking about profit all the time? Materialistic? avaricious or Acquisitive?

All the above, and greedy, money-grubbing, mercenary.

not a teacher

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I object to the negative connotations you are assigning to this person. If he or she is the CEO of a major corporation, it is his (her) JOB to think about profit. There is nothing in your statement that say "despite any harm this profit taking may do" or "even if it destroy the environment in the process" or "no matter who has to suffer to achieve it."

A more neutral term would simply be "capitalistic."

If you tell me that this person thinks about profit even if he has to harm the enviornment, destory lives, and ruin reputations to get it, THEN we can use other words.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I object to the negative connotations you are assigning to this person. If he or she is the CEO of a major corporation, it is his (her) JOB to think about profit. There is nothing in your statement that say "despite any harm this profit taking may do" or "even if it destroy the environment in the process" or "no matter who has to suffer to achieve it."

A more neutral term would simply be "capitalistic."

If you tell me that this person thinks about profit even if he has to harm the enviornment, destory lives, and ruin reputations to get it, THEN we can use other words.

Sorrry for not writing that I meant a negative connotation. Some people are constantly obsessing over profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.