Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi,

Supposed to: Be supposed + infinitive is used to say what people have to do (or not do) according to the rules or the law, or about what is (not) expected to happen.

Catholics are supposed to go to church on Sundays.
We're supposed to pay the Council Tax at the beginning of the month.

The source: Practical English Usage (page 563)

Can we use 'have to' in the second sentence intead of 'supposed to'? I think we can but we may not do it for the first one.

Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We don't have to pay our council tax at all. However, we should be aware that there are consequences if we don't. However, I think the "supposed to" in your second sentence refers to the date it is expected to be paid, rather than the fact that it simply should be paid. I would expect something to come after your example sentence, indicating that paying at the beginning of the month isn't always the case. For example:

We're supposed to pay our council tax at the beginning of the month but some of us have arranged to pay it on the 20th of the month.

ademoglu

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thanks for the answer but I still feel confused. Is it wrong to put 'have to' in those sentences?

Catholics have to go to church on Sundays.
We have to pay the Council Tax at the beginning of the month.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for the answer but I still feel confused. Is it wrong to put 'have to' in those sentences?

Catholics have to go to church on Sundays.
We have to pay the Council Tax at the beginning of the month.

They're correct. To have to conveys a higher level of obligation than to be supposed to. "We are supposed to pay the Council Tax" means that a rule urges payment on a given date; if we have to pay the tax, we understand that we'll suffer a fine or some other consequence if we don't pay.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We don't have to pay our council tax at all.

We certainly do have to pay it, but it doesn't have to be at the beginning of the month.

Status
Not open for further replies.