If you had seen the notices in all papers you must have supposed my evening's entertainment an unqualified success

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you had said that at the very beginning, we could have saved ourselves the whole thing.

I'm sorry that I've wasted your time.

I see you have revised your opinion: In fact, it is a third conditional sentence.

I don't have an 'opinion' and I haven't revised anything.

The third conditional is used when you imagine a different past, where something did or did not happen, and you imagine a different result, and that's the case in this sentence.

Yes, that's right.

The imagined (maybe unreal) condition is in both the sentences.

Both sentences? We're only talking about one sentence.

These question are needless and answered by your first statement of your last reply, #19: I'd class it a third conditional sentence - your revised opinion.

I didn't revise anything. You don't seem to realise I was attempting to understand what your question was, since the way you asked it reveals a lack of understanding. You don't appear to be very grateful for this.

You said in post #1 "the meaning of the Conditional iii-sentence". That suggested to me, and still does, that you erroneously believe that third conditionals always have exactly the same meaning. My post #3 was an explanation for you of what the sentence means, and how it differs from the meaning of a more typical Type 3 conditional in view of the fact that the result clause uses must.

You also said in post #1 "It normally has an indicative - affirmative meaning. It doesn't have a conditional meaning normally." Now, since it doesn't make any sense to say that must has an 'indicative meaning' and since must can never have a 'conditional meaning', one might forgive me for misunderstanding your question.

Last edited:

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
Tenses are inflected forms of the verb that show relationship of the action/state denoted to distancing in time, reality, or directness. There are two tenses in English, the unmarked form and the marked form.

The unmarked form is generally known as the present (simple), and the marked form the past (simple). The word 'simple' indicates that no form of aspect (progressive/continuous or perfect) is shown. Both tenses can be used to refer pto ast, general, present and future time:

1. 1939. 15 March: Germany invades Czechoslovakia. Hitler claims that … (Past)
2. And Gray blocks the ball, passes to McNally on the edge of the box and … it’s a goal! (Present)
3. Babies normally lose weight in the early days. (General time)
4. I leave on the eleventh, but I come back overnight, so I’ll be back here on the twelfth. (Future)

5. Freda started school last year. (Past)
6. I wondered if you had a couple of minutes? (Present)
6. If you were as poor as I am, you’d feel differently. (General time)
8. If I went back on the train tonight, it'd be cheaper. (Future)

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I'm sorry that I've wasted your time.
I meant no harm.:)
Both sentences? We're only talking about one sentence.
Yes, you are right. However, it's difficult to express it. The if-clause (= conditional clause) expresses the condition - the verb in the conditional clause reflects the speaker's point of view on whether the imagined situation is possible, likely or impossible. In the main clause, if it is the second or third conditional, you use the modal verb with future-in-the-past meaning and its related forms (should, would, might, could+ infinitive without to or should, would, might, could + have + -ed form).
My problem with must here (and with the sentence in the OP) is that it isn't should, would, might, could. Does must take or represent the same form and the same future-in-the-past meaning as should, would, might, could do it in the conditional ii or conditional iii sentences - is that actually possible ? ( Phew - that was hard work! I hope you understand what I mean.:rolleyes:)
That suggested to me, and still does, that you erroneously believe that third conditionals always have exactly the same meaning.
That's correct: Yes, I consider the conditional ii and conditional iii sentences to always have the same structure and thence the same meaning (in regard to the tense of the verbs).
Conditional ii:
If-clause: if + past simple , main clause: modal verb (should, would, might, could) + infinitive without to
Conditional iii:
If-clause: if + past perfect, main clause: modal verb (should, would, might, could) + have + -ed form

Every grammar tells you so. Why do you call this into question? I don't understand that. Could you give an example, please?
All other forms are mixed conditionals - which of course are possible .

Last edited:

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
Conditional ii:
If-clause: if + past simple , main clause: modal verb (should, would, might, could) + infinitive without to

Should she arrive late, we'd start without her.
Were that to happen, we'd be in serious trouble.

Conditional iii:
If-clause: if + past perfect, main clause: modal verb (should, would, might, could) + have + -ed form.
I consider the conditional ii and conditional iii sentences to always have the same structure
They don't. See above.
and thence the same meaning (in regard to the tense of the verbs).
They don't:

If I had known that Dylan was playing in Prague last week, I'd have gone to see him.
If I had known that Dylan was playing in Prague tomorrow, I'd have gone to see him

Every grammar tells you so. .

They don't.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The if-clause (= conditional clause) expresses the condition - the verb in the conditional clause reflects the speaker's point of view on whether the imagined situation is possible, likely or impossible.

Yes.

In the main clause, if it is the second or third conditional, you use the modal verb with future-in-the-past meaning

I understand what you mean when you say a 'future-in-the-past meaning' but I certainly wouldn't describe it like that. I think it's better to say that there's a resultative meaning, in that the main clause results from the condition clause. Bear in mind that this resultative logic is not necessarily temporal—that is to say that the result clause doesn't have to follow in time (though that's often the case) but just that it has to follow logically. That's the case in our example—the word must is used to make a logical conclusion that follows from the truth condition expressed in the condition clause.

My problem with must here (and with the sentence in the OP) is that it isn't should, would, might, could. Does must take or represent the form and the future-in-the-past meaning as should, would, might, could do it in the conditional ii or conditional iii sentence - is that actually possible ? ( Phew - that was hard work!)

I understand the question. I hope I've answered it sufficiently in my point above.

That's correct: Yes, I consider the conditional ii and conditional iii sentences to always have the same structure and thence the same meaning (in regard to the tense of the verbs).

The same basic structure, yes, but the same meaning, no. When we classify the conditionals into types, we're classifying their structure more than anything else. This is an area of confusion that comes up again and again for both teachers and students alike. My view on this as someone who's been teaching this stuff for decades is that higher-level learners like yourself ought to abandon the classification of types and focus instead on the meaning of the sentence in use, i.e., the particular logical connection between the condition and the result. The classical division of conditional sentences into types is really just a handy and simplistic way of organising a very difficult and complex area of English language teaching. It isn't used by linguists. Many teachers including myself are rather reluctant to use it at all. When I told you that I'd class your sentence as a third conditional, I was reluctant to do so, but I thought it would be useful to say that to you. (I'm still not sure if that was the right thing to say!)

Conditional ii:
Conditional iii:
If-clause: if + past perfect, main clause: modal verb (should, would, might, could) + have + -ed form

I organise it more generally, like this:

Type 2
Condition clause: if + past subjunctive
Result clause: modal

Type 3
Condition clause: if + past perfect
Result clause: modal perfect

Any modal verb can be used in the result clause (depending on the meaning, of course) though the typical modal is would. Also understand that even the conjunction if is not necessary to express conditionality and none of the nine classical modal verbs are necessary in the result clause, either. The structures I've listed above are merely general patterns, not rules of usage.

Every grammar tells you so.

No, that's incorrect. In fact, this is one area of English that's especially notable for the variety of ways that it's presented and taught. Also bear in mind what I said above: the idea of four types of conditional is merely a convenience for teachers to break down complexity into simpler parts. It's natural that different teachers will do this in different ways, to suit their particular aims.

Why do you repudiate that?

Look, I'm trying to teach you something. If you want me to desist, then fine.

Last edited:

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Last edited:

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I understand what you mean when you say a 'future-in-the-past meaning' but I certainly wouldn't describe it like that. I think it's better to say that there's a resultative meaning, in that the main clause results from the condition clause. Bear in mind that this resultative logic is not necessarily temporal—that is to say that the result clause doesn't have to follow in time (though that's often the case) but just that it has to follow logically. That's the case in our example—the word must is used to make a logical conclusion that follows from the truth condition expressed in the condition clause.
I fully realize what you are saying because beyond the conditionals must renders or accomplishes this task: you use must have + -ed form to talk about deductions and conclusions. However, the question at issue here is whether must can render the same service that would, should, might, could accomplish or realize with regard to the form and the imagined unreal meaning (keyword: different result) in the third conditional context. Could you once again confirm this, please (to clarify the point completely)?
Look, I'm trying to teach you something.
Thank you very much indeed.
If you want me to desist, then fine.
No, I don't. Certainly not! I much appreciate your help(y):)

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
However, the question at issue here is whether must can render the same service that would, should, might, could accomplish or realize with regard to the form

It's the same form, yes.

must have done
would have done
could have done

This form is what we're calling a 'perfect modal'.

and the imagined unreal meaning (different result) in the third conditional context.

You imagine something that didn't happen in the past (a counterfactual). And then you imagine a result of whatever that imagined past was. The result is conditional upon the condition.

Is that what you're asking?

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
You imagine something that didn't happen in the past (a counterfactual)
That's the if-clause = conditional clause of the conditional sentence
And then you imagine a result of whatever that imagined past was
That's the main clause.

I would like to phrase this sentence as

And then you imagine a result that is imagined past and didn't happen as well (but could, would, should, might and must have happened).

Yes, this sentence could work. Would you agree? I don't fully understand or realize what you mean by of whatever that imagined past was but I think your sentence means and implies the same as my sentence.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would like to phrase this sentence as

And then you imagine a result that is imagined past and didn't happen as well

Typically, yes, but be careful about one thing: The result doesn't have to be only imagined. It could be that it actually happened.

Fact: My wife asked me to clean the floor, and so I did clean the floor.

Even if she hadn't asked me to, I still would've cleaned the floor.

So regardless of whether she asked me to or not, the result of me cleaning the floor is the same.

(but could, would, should, might and must have happened).

Sorry, I have no idea what you mean here.

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
The result doesn't have to be only imagined. It could be that it actually happened.
. . . but be careful about one thing: The result doesn't have to be only imagined. It could be that it actually happened.
Fact: My wife asked me to clean the floor, and so I did clean the floor.
Even if she hadn't asked me to, I still would've cleaned the floor
So regardless of whether she asked me to or not, the result of me cleaning the floor is the same.
Point taken. Yes, indeed; and now I have got it why you are emphasizing the conclusion viewpoint regarding our sentence in the OP. Examples do wonders.
Sorry, I have no idea what you mean here.
I just turned it around: (I imagine) a result that didn't happen but could, would, should, might, must have happened if I had seen the notices next day in all the papers.
I think the word and sounds odd there with regard to what I wanted to say: The but-clause is just meant to list and highlight the grammatical possibilities and that must can be added to should, would, might, could and is on a par with them in this regard (that is to say with the third conditional). .

Last edited:

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
(Relating to #32 and #33)
And then you imagine a result that is imagined past and didn't happen as well (but could, would, should, might and must have happened).
I've thought this sentence and the whole affair over again. This sentence is incorrect. In this context, that is in the context of conditional iii, this sentence has to be

You imagine a result that is imagined past and didn't happen as well (but could, would, should, might and would have to (= distancing form of must) have happened).

Last edited: