Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
Here is the test I have taken. I have a few issues here. The right articles are below as is said in the answers.

It has been announced that for the third consecutive month there has been a rise in the number of people unemployed, rather than the fall that had been predicted. The rise was blamed on the continuing uncertainty over government economic policy, and couldn't come at a worse time for the Prime Minister, who is facing a growing criticism over the way the present crisis is being handled. MPs are increasingly voicing fears that despite the recent devaluation of the pound and cuts in interest rates, the government still expects the recovery of the economy to take three or even four years.

My questions:

I have problems with this sentence:

The rise was blamed on the continuing uncertainty over government economic policy, and couldn't come at a worse time for the Prime Minister, who is facing a growing criticism over the way the present crisis is being handled.

1) Why is "the" necessary in "the continuing uncertainty"? What makes this uncertainty unique? It seems that it gets mentioned in this sentence for the first time. Is "a continuing uncertainty" possible?
2) Why is it not needed to put "the" before government economic policy? Isn't it a unique policy?

Another problematic sentence

MPs are increasingly voicing fears that despite the recent devaluation of the pound and cuts in interest rates, the government still expects the recovery of the economy to take three or even four years.

3) Why is it "the recovery"? Why can't it be "a recovery?"

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I have problems with this sentence:

The rise was blamed on the continuing uncertainty over government economic policy, and couldn't come at a worse time for the Prime Minister, who is facing a growing criticism over the way the present crisis is being handled.

1) Why is "the" necessary in "the continuing uncertainty"? What makes this uncertainty unique? It seems that it gets mentioned in this sentence for the first time. Is "a continuing uncertainty" possible?
2) Why is it not needed to put "the" before government economic policy? Isn't it a unique policy?

Another problematic sentence

MPs are increasingly voicing fears that despite the recent devaluation of the pound and cuts in interest rates, the government still expects the recovery of the economy to take three or even four years.

3) Why is it "the recovery"? Why can't it be "a recovery?"

1'The' refers to an implicit, widely understood, 'uncertainty'. 'A continuing uncertainty' would be most unusual, but 'The rise was blamed on continuing uncertainty...' would be possible.

2 By a journalistic convention 'government economic policy' = 'the government's economic policy'.

3 Governments (especially in the months before a General Election - if this is the UK government) have to sound positive. Rather than 'a recovery may happen' they say 'The recovery will take... [but it will surely come]'. 'The' means (here) 'the one we're working towards'. If you said 'a recovery' it would suggest uncertainty.

b

Kotfor

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Ukraine
2 By a journalistic convention 'government economic policy' = 'the government's economic policy'.

b
Is "the government economic policy" also possible?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I wouldn't use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.