Sitting for exams is a good way to test your psychological endurance under pressure.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The conversation took place between my friend Eric and me.

After the English club, we were still chatting in English.

Eric: Have you ever thought about working in my company? Teaching IELTS?
Silver: I have. But I don’t have a certificate.
Eric: You can take the test.
Silver: I daren’t take the test. My spoken English isn’t good.
Eric: No, your spoken English is better than most of my co-workers. Are you worrying about the Band? You will feel discouraged once you can’t get your ideal score.
Silver: You’ve hit the nail the on head! However, I always feel nervous when taking a test!
Eric: Go take it. Sitting for exams is a good way to test your psychological endurance under pressure.

I wrote the italic sentence because I don’t remember clearly what Eric said at that time but his meaning is close to my italic sentence.

Please help me with a natural one.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I would replace "psychological endurance" with "mental capacity".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
First of all, delete the word 'for'.

Secondly, change 'psychological endurance'. I don't know what to yet. Tell us more about what you think Eric meant.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
First of all, delete the word 'for'.

Secondly, change 'psychological endurance'. I don't know what to yet. Tell us more about what you think Eric meant.
Hmm, what he was trying to say is perhaps something like one’s ability to handle difficult situations (here taking the tests) when one feels stressed.

Let’s say that I left the high school at the age of 18 and from that moment, I was scared of taking tests. Each time when I sat in for a test, I felt nervous and I almost left the classroom where I took the test.

Later I realized that leaving the classroom without finishing the test was not a good solution to solve my problem because every next time when I was taking a test I felt nervous or even more.

Then I decided to sit in for a test and finished answering all the questions however nervous I would be. Later I found that I didn’t feel nervous anymore taking any tests.

This is what Eric tried to say.

Face the problem helps you increase your confidence to handle it or you’ll keep losing your edge.

Sorry for my bad wording. :(
Sitting for exams is a good way to test your psychological endurance under pressure.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Okay, so you're talking about overcoming fear, or nervousness.

Eric is saying then that you'll overcome your fear of tests by actually doing them.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
you'll overcome your fear of tests by actually doing them.
Thanks a lot for helping me to understand the context and thanks a lot for providing a good sentence. I want to write this part down. Is that okay?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I might say that he was simply giving you tips on how to deal with exam pressure.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Eric is saying then that you'll overcome your fear of tests by actually doing them.
What does the "then" refer to here? What does it mean? Is the sentence the same as:

Eric is then saying that you'll overcome your fear of tests by actually doing them.

Much appreciated!

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I might say that he was simply giving you tips on how to deal with exam pressure.
What a smart advice - sit for more exams to deal the exam pressure!

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
What a smart advice - sit for more exams to deal the exam pressure!
Your English is far better than mine. Hmm, they said “sit for” is wrong here. I’ve heard of “sit in for” or “sit”.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Your English is far better than mine. Hmm, they said “sit for” is wrong here. I’ve heard of “sit in for” or “sit”.
There is nothing wrong with "sit for exams".

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It would perhaps have been clearer if "then" had been enclosed between commas.

Eric is saying, then, that you'll overcome ...

In that context, "then" means "in that case".
Why did jutfrank said “leave out for first” while Ted insists that it’s correct? Who is right here? Please enlighten me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What a (no article here) smart advice - sit for more exams to deal with the exam pressure!
1. "Advice" is uncountable so the indefinite article cannot be used with it.
2. "Sit for an exam" might be used in some variants but it doesn't work in BrE. We simple "sit" or "take" exams.
3. You omitted a word.

Why did jutfrank said “leave out for first” while Ted insists that it’s correct? Who is right here? Please enlighten me.
As you can see above from my changes to tedmc's post at the top, I agree with jutfrank.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What does the "then" refer to here? What does it mean?

It's referring to your explanation in the previous post. It's like 'in that case'.

I didn't mean to suggest that 'sit for' is totally wrong, but I don't like it, and I think your sentence is better without it, which is why I told you to get rid of it.

Last edited: