English Teacher
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hi,
I studied that we can not use preposition before this, next, last and every.
But there is a sentence here "We often eat in this restaurant" I found it in an English book. Now what about it? Correct or no using of "in" before "this"?

Thanks for your help.
Ani

Hi,
I studied that we can not use preposition before this, next, last and every.
But there is a sentence here "We often eat in this restaurant" I found it in an English book. Now what about it? Correct or no using of "in" before "this"?

Thanks for your help.
Ani
Of course you can use a preposition before those words.

The rule that you were told is not a good one to go by. I agree with the previous post, you can use propositions for all of those I think, although I'm having some trouble coming up with examples for "next". Does anybody have one?

The rule that you were told is not a good one to go by. I agree with the previous post, you can use propositions for all of those I think, although I'm having some trouble coming up with examples for "next". Does anybody have one?
I shall be in England from this Monday until next Friday.

This tip probably works if you restrict it to time clauses concerning events. I can't think of a use of "this week", "last Wednesday", "every month", with a preposition.
Note, however, that it only works with events. One can say "In every month of the year there are at least 28 days." In other situations it doesn't work: "On every occasion I have seen him, he has been late." "At last he arrived, full of apologies", "In this case...". With "next" I find I have to cheat, "First Joan got on the boat. Peter got on next."
Yet another useless "rule" I would say.

I can't think of a use of "this week", "last Wednesday", "every month", with a preposition.[/QUOTE]He stayed with me from last Wednesday to this week.

I am not sure when I began the essay, but I know it was before last Monday. I finished it by last Wednesday evening, so I was able to go to the pub.

She looks older with every month that passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back