Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Hi,

Could you please check if the following sentences are correct? Do they sound natural to you?

"The majority of the population of china is too high"
"My level is intermediate/ I am in intermediate level" (Both are okay?)

Thanks,

Pangus

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"The majority of the population of china is too high" - I'm not sure what you mean - it sounds like Chinese people are too tall but I don't think that can be it.

Do you mean “too old”? People are often talking about China's “ageing population”...

"China has an ageing population"

Or if you just mean China has too many people...

"There are too many people in China" / "China's population is too big"

For the second one...

"My level is intermediate" - grammatically OK - not so natural
"I am at the intermediate level" / "I am an intermediate student" - more natural

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Once again, UM Chakma, you have asked two unrelated questions in the same post.

I hope you can see that the first question has nothing at all to do with the second and should have been in a thread of its own.

Rover

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Great! Yes I did mean "China's population is too big". After posting the thread, I felt I might have used a meaningless context. I am sorry. I could have said "The majority of the population of China believes in variety of religion".

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Once again, UM Chakma, you have asked two unrelated questions in the same post.

I hope you can see that the first question has nothing at all to do with the second and should have been in a thread of its own.

Rover

With all of my respect, I want to say something. Why do you take my sentences as unrelated? What if you take those just as two sentences? I have seen students written more than one sentences to be discussed on their threads and they ask "please check my sentences". That is what I did too. So why can't I write two sentences. I just wanted to know if my both sentences are grammatically correct and I really made them by myself. Of-course they are two different sentences but If you take those just as sentences without thinking about relation I think there would not be any wrong there. If I have said something bad I apologize to you in advance.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
You have said nothing bad, so there's no need to apologise.:-D

There are three reasons why we want you to ask unrelated questions in separate threads:

1. You'll get quicker answers. Somebody might want to answer one of the questions but have neither the time nor knowledge to answer all of them.

2. Somebody may answer one question, ignoring the others. This means you will probably have to post again saying 'What about the other questions?'

3. Somebody may answer two or more questions. You may have a supplementary question about one answer and somebody else may suggest an alternative answer to the other — whilst a third person may respond to your follow-up question on the first answer and a fourth person may then respond to a previously unanswered question. When different people start to discuss different questions — each possibly generating alternatives and follow-ups — the thread soon begins to get hopelessly muddled and out of control.

Another language forum (WordReference.com) has a strict rule about asking only one question per thread, and moderators there are quick to delete any other questions. We don't want to do that here, but we can understand the reasons for the rule. I hope you do, too.

Rover

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Y. We don't want to do that here, but we can understand the reasons for the rule. I hope you do, too.
We hope you do too.
I have seen students written more than one sentences to be discussed on their threads and they ask "please check my sentences". That is what I did too.
We try not to be too dictatorial here. If members, especially new members, infringe the rules, we often let it go until they have got used to the place. However, once we have pointed out the rules to members and asked them to comply, we assume that they will. If people are getting free help from us, usually pretty quickly, it's reasonable for us to expect that they do as we ask.

Last edited:

UM Chakma

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Singapore
Very clear. But I really didn't mean to ask two different and unrelated questions. I meant to ask two sentences under one question. Okay! now it's clear. I believe no mistake will happen hereafter. I will always be following the forum rule because I know the help we get from you is priceless and I hope every students of this forum will agree with me.:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.