Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi, I'm learning a vocabulary and I'm not sure that I wrote it right. I have been learning English for a little while. I have a book and in this book I have twelve chapters. I'm learning each word and I've tried to describe each word like below. It's great fun! :)
Probably . I will create a lot of threads like that :)
I discovered It's the best way to learn for me.
My short list, Do you understand the following definitions?

civilian - A person who doesn't service in army. This person is not a soldier.
machine gun - A gun that fires bullets very quickly and continiouesly.
peace conference - A meeting where gathered people talk about conflicts and stop fights.
poison gas - A gas used to during a war in order to kill enemies. Often in the form of a can.
tank - A big and heavy vehicle that fires big bullets.
troop - A certain amount of soldiers.
world peace - A state when countries don't fight with themeselves.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi, I'm learning vocabulary, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] but I'm not sure that I'm doing [STRIKE]wrote[/STRIKE] it right. I have been learning English for a little while. I have a book [STRIKE]and in this book I have[/STRIKE] which has twelve chapters. I'm learning each word in it, and I've tried to describe each word [STRIKE]like[/STRIKE] as below. It's great fun!
Probably I will create a lot of threads like this. [STRIKE]that :)[/STRIKE]
I discovered it's the best way to learn for me.
This is my short list. Do you understand the following definitions?

civilian - A person who doesn't [STRIKE]service[/STRIKE] serve in the army. This person is not a soldier.
machine gun - A gun that fires bullets very quickly and continuously.
peace conference - A meeting where people gather [STRIKE]ed people[/STRIKE] to talk about conflicts and stop fights.
poison gas - A gas used [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] during war in order to kill the enemy. [STRIKE]enemies. Often in the form of a can.[/STRIKE]
tank - A big and heavy military vehicle that can fire (artillery) shells or large-calibre bullets. [STRIKE]fires big bullets.[/STRIKE]
world peace - A state when countries don't fight with each other. [STRIKE]themeselves.[/STRIKE]
Are you just learning nouns? ;-)

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
May I suggest these changes?

peace conference - A meeting where people gather[STRIKE]ed[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]people[/STRIKE] to talk about conflicts and stop fights.
poison gas -
A gas used [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] during war in order to kill the enemy.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
civilian - A person who doesn't[STRIKE] service[/STRIKE]serve in the [STRIKE]army[/STRIKE]military. This person is not a soldier. There are many branches of service besides the army (navy, air force, marines, etc.) , so just say 'military.
machine gun - A gun that fires bullets very quickly and continuously.
peace conference - A meeting where gathered people talk about conflicts and stop fights.
poison gas - A gas used to during a war in order to kill enemies. [STRIKE]Often in the form of a can.[/STRIKE] I think you're confusing gasoline with vaporous gas
tank - A big and heavy armored vehicle that fires big bullets.
world peace - A state when countries don't fight with themselves.

See my corrections above. You're basically correct, although you had some minor spelling errors and other minor errors. Note my suggested corrections to 'civilian' and 'gas'.

Last edited by a moderator:

Milczek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Are you just learning nouns? ;-)
No :p
I've just started to create my lists. It's the beginning .
Firstly I write words and definitions on paper and next I'm going to write it here. ;-)

Milczek

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
thanks a lot ! But I don't understand one thing. In sentence : A gas used during war in order to kill the enemy. Why "during a war" is incorrect?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
T[STRIKE]t[/STRIKE]hanks a lot! [STRIKE]![/STRIKE] But I don't understand one thing. In the sentence [STRIKE]:[/STRIKE] "A gas used during war in order to kill the enemy",[STRIKE].[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]W[/STRIKE]why is "during a war" [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] incorrect?

"During a war" is not incorrect, but the reader may wonder "during which war?" Omitting the article makes the phrase mean "during any war in general."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A machine gun is an automatic weapon. It fires continuously from the time the trigger is pulled until it is released. (A semiautomatic fires one round every time the the trigger is pulled.)

A tank is an armored vehicle that fires artillery shells. It also has a machine gun mounted on it.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A certain amount of soldiers.

I'd use number not amount. You do see amount used with plural nouns, but traditionalists don't like it. It was drummed into me at school, so I still can't use it, though accept that many do.

Status
Not open for further replies.