Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi, Could you please check the following definitions? :)
I'm learning vocabulary and I try to describe each new word which I learnt. :)

It help me remember new words. :)

break out - synonymous with start. Example,The war has broken out three years ago. A lot of homes in town are destroyed.
Instead "break out" we can say "start". Have I right?

charity - A organization which helps people in need.Often,a charity collects different things and next send to others countries.

corruption - dishonest behaviours or activities ,often in government.

disability - The state of being unable to use part of body.(I hadn't no idea how discrabe "disability")

discrimination - tearting one person or group of people worse than others people.

equality - The situation in country whan men and women have the same laws.

homeless - The term used to discrabe people who have no home(people without home?)

homelessness - The term used to discrabe problems with homeless people.

orphanage - Place where homeless children or children whose parents dead live.

poverty - the state of being poor people.

racism - beliefs that others people are better then each other and showing it.

religion - Belief in god or gods.

unemployment - The term used to describe problems with jobless people.

volunteer - A person who helps others people and dosen't want awards.

declare war sb - Leader one of the countries wants to fight against another.

I have difficulties with "other,others,another". I don't know how use these words yet. :p

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

The war broke out three years ago, and a lot of people were made homeless when their houses were destroyed.
--------

Yes, you could also say the war started three years ago.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It helps me remember new words.

break out - synonymous with start. For example,"The war [STRIKE]has broken[/STRIKE] broke out three years ago. A lot of homes in town [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] have been destroyed.
Instead of "break out" we can say "start". [STRIKE]Have[/STRIKE] Am I right?
Yes, you can in that sentence.

charity - An organization which helps people in need. Often, a charity collects different things and [STRIKE]next[/STRIKE] sends them to other countries.

corruption - dishonest behaviour or activities, often in government.

disability - The state of being unable to use part of one's body. (I had [STRIKE]n't[/STRIKE] no idea how describe "disability.")

discrimination - treating one person or a group of people worse than others people.

equality - The situation [STRIKE]in country whan men and women have[/STRIKE] where everybody has the same rights. [STRIKE]laws.[/STRIKE]

homeless - The term used to describe people who have no home. [STRIKE](people without home?)[/STRIKE]

homelessness - The [STRIKE]term used to discrabe problems with[/STRIKE] state of being homeless. [STRIKE]people.[/STRIKE]

orphanage - Place [STRIKE]where homeless[/STRIKE] which houses children [STRIKE]or children[/STRIKE] whose parents are dead. [STRIKE]live.[/STRIKE]

poverty - the state of being poor. [STRIKE]people.[/STRIKE]

racism - beliefs that other people are better, based on their race. [STRIKE]then each other and showing it.[/STRIKE]

religion - spiritual belief system. [STRIKE]in god or gods.
[/STRIKE]
unemployment - The term used to describe [STRIKE]problems with[/STRIKE] the state of being jobless. [STRIKE]people.[/STRIKE]

volunteer - A person who helps other people without getting paid. [STRIKE]and dosen't want awards.[/STRIKE]

declare war on sb - to announce start/launch of military hostilities against some country/nation. [STRIKE]Leader one of the countries wants to fight against another.[/STRIKE]

I have difficulties with "other", "others", and "another". I don't know how to use these words yet.
Have a look at the link below:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/gra...another?q=Other,+others,+the+other+or+another

Status
Not open for further replies.