Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
[Scene: Monica and Rachel's, Monica is on the phone in the kitchen.]
Monica: Aunt Syl, stop yelling! All I'm saying is that if you had told me vegetarian lasagna, I would have made vegetarian lasagna. (pauses, listens to person on phone) Well, the meat's only every third layer, maybe you could scrape.

Source: Friends TV series

1) "the mean is only every third layer" does this sentence mean "the mean is just on the entire third layer"? I don't get the use of "every" here!
2)I looked up "scrape" and does it mean that "remove all the meat using the edge of a knife or a stick"?

Thanks

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[Scene: Monica and Rachel's. Monica is on the phone in the kitchen.]
Monica: Aunt Syl, stop yelling! All I'm saying is that if you had told me vegetarian lasagna, I would have made vegetarian lasagna. (pauses, listens to person on phone) Well, the meat's only every third layer, maybe you could scrape.

1) Does "the meat is only every third layer" mean "the meat is just on the entire third layer"? I don't get the use of "every" here!

Every third means the third, the sixth, and the ninth. (Lasagne doesn't usually have twelve or fifteen layers.) It's funny because it's not a practical solution.

(We don't say every second. We say every other: every layer, every other layer, every third layer, every fourth layer, and so on.)

2) [space] I looked up "scrape." Does it mean [delete that] "remove all the meat using the edge of a knife or a stick"?

A knife. Why use a stick?

Thanks.
You're welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[Scene: Monica and Rachel's, Monica is on the phone in the kitchen.]

1) "the meat is only every third layer" does this sentence mean "the meat is just on the entire third layer"? I don't get the use of "every" here! Neither do I. I don't know how many layers Monica's lasagna consists of, but more than four layers would be more than mine. 2)I looked up "scrape" and does it mean that "remove all the meat using the edge of a knife or [STRIKE]a stick[/STRIKE] other utensil"? Yes.

Thanks

Y

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Every second layer (or whatever) is also possible.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Monica is a chef with her own restaurant (in some seasons) so it wouldn't surprise me if her lasagne had a lot more than four layers.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If your doctor asks if you drink alcohol, you might say "only every now and then", which is sort of a meaningless non-answer when you don't want to confess you drink frequently.

Monica is trying to suggest something similar, in a feeble attempt to down play the meat content. Of course, the humor here is that it obviously doesn't work quite so well with lasagna, because regardless of how many layers there are, meat is in 33% of the dish!

The scraping bit is also funny, because anyone who objects to eating meat also doesn't want to eat the fats and flavors of the meat which would have permeated into the sauce and other layers. It's not just the actual meat they want to avoid. Picking out the meat doesn't make it vegetarian friendly.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . . The scraping bit is also funny, because anyone who objects to eating meat also doesn't want to eat the fats and flavors of the meat which would have permeated into the sauce and other layers. It's not just the actual meat they want to avoid. Picking out the meat doesn't make it vegetarian friendly.
My vegetarian wife picks the pepperoni off pizza. She likes pizza too much to resist.

(New York-syle pizza, anyhow. Anything else isn't really pizza.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I imagine one or two Italians might not fully agree with you there. :crazyeye:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And several vegetarians would take issue with your wife calling herself vegetarian! ;-)

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Probably easier to argue with the vegetarians than with his wife.

One has to choose one's battles carefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.