Meat consumption together with beverages consumption were 37% altogether.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Altogether and together with

I found these two sentences, first I used together with to mean (in addition to) while (altogether) is used to mean (in total)

1. Meat consumption together with beverages consumption were 37% altogether.
2. The percentages of tourists who visited the Uk and those who visited France were 27% altogether.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I found these two sentences, ...
@mrmvp, you've been a member long enough to know that we need the source and author of quoted text – especially ungrammatical sentences like these.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
@mrmvp, you've been a member long enough to know that we need the source and author of quoted text – especially ungrammatical sentences like these.

Sorry . I was supposed to say that I wrote the sentences myself. The reason why I wrote in because I have seen these words used in describing trends and figures.

Please accept my apology 🙏

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have a question about "altogether" and "together with".

I found these two sentences. In the first, I have used "together with" to mean "in addition to". In the second, I have used while "altogether" is used to mean "in total".

1. Meat consumption, together with beverages beverage consumption, were together made up/constituted 37%. altogether.
2. The percentages percentage of tourists who visited the UK and those who visited France were came to/added up to 27% altogether.
Please note my multiple corrections above.
Sorry. I was supposed to say should have said that I wrote the sentences myself. The reason why I wrote in is because that I have seen these words used in describing trends and figures.

Please accept my apology.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Altogether and together with

I found these two sentences, first I used together with to mean (in addition to) while (altogether) is used to mean (in total)

1. Meat consumption together with beverages consumption were 37% altogether.
2. The percentages of tourists who visited the Uk and those who visited France were 27% altogether.

#1 Are you trying to say that meat and beverage consumption together totaled 37%? What do you mean by beverage? 100% of the population consumes at least water, so it's unclear what you mean.

#2 Again, do you mean that people who visited both the UK and France added up to 27% (all 27% visited both countries), or the ones who visited the UK plus the ones who visited France together add up to 27% (i.e. something like 15% visited the UK and 12% percent visited France)?

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
#1 Are you trying to say that meat and beverage consumption together totaled 37%? What do you mean by beverage? 100% of the population consumes at least water, so it's unclear what you mean.
Thank you. Well the information I wrote are made up. I just want to know how to use ( "together with" and "altogether") Anyway I meant to say that (meat consumption and beverage consumption both accounted for 37% out of 100% in a figure. Beverage means any drink other than water.

#2 Again, do you mean that people who visited both the UK and France added up to 27% (all 27% visited both countries), or the ones who visited the UK plus the ones who visited France together add up to 27% (i.e. something like 15% visited the UK and 12% percent visited France)?

Here I am talking about two different figures:

1. I mean the the percentage of tourists who visited France was 12%.

2. The percentage of tourists who visited the UK was 15%. Both of the percentages equal a total of 27%.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
When you express something as a percentage, it is relative to and forms part of an overall figure of 100%. You have not stated what the 100% is.

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
When you express something as a percentage, it is relative to and forms part of an overall figure of 100%. You have not stated what the 100% is.

If I describe one figure, I can say.However, I think describing every trend, stating it is out of 100% is not suitable way, I believe. The chart shows the figures for the reader and examiner ?

A is accounted for 33% out 100%.

B is comprised of 22% out of 100%

And so on.