[Vocabulary] threat?Is 【stateliness】 or 【majesty】 better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
:up:One of the most powerful driving forces behind recycling is
the threat of legislation that would require companies
to take more responsibility for the disposal of their products:tick:.

:?:Question: Originally I think threat is used inappropriately, but I cannot ascertain it.
Then I looked up the word, please see
1) His presence is a threat to our success.
2) The threat of an economic depression hangs over the world.
3) Pollution poses a threat to the continued existence of this species.
4) There was a threat of typhoon.

In my understanding, ''his presence", ''"economic depression", "pollution'' and ''typhoon''
are all not good things, but ''legislation"', in my eye, is a good thing that is an emblem of righteousness,
so the word threat should be replaced by "stateliness" or "majesty". Is my understanding right?

Dear teachers, sincere thanks!!!

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Re: threat?Is 【stateliness】 or 【majesty】 better?

:up:One of the most powerful driving forces behind recycling is
the threat of legislation that would require companies
to take more responsibility for the disposal of their products:tick:.

:?:Question: Originally I think threat is used inappropriately, but I cannot ascertain it.
Then I looked up the word, please see
1) His presence is a threat to our success.
2) The threat of an economic depression hangs over the world.
3) Pollution poses a threat to the continued existence of this species.
4) There was a threat of typhoon.

In my understanding, ''his presence", ''"economic depression", "pollution'' and ''typhoon''
are all not good things, but ''legislation"', in my eye, is a good thing that is an emblem of righteousness,
so the word threat should be replaced by "stateliness" or "majesty". Is my understanding right?

Dear teachers, sincere thanks!!!

No, your understanding is not right. The correct word is "threat". The companies do not want legislation, they do not want to be forced to take measures.
Your two suggestions would be completely inappropriate..

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

''legislation"', in my eye, is a good thing that is an emblem of righteousness,
Legislation is simply the passing of laws. I would see the passing of a law against, for example, homosexuality as a bad thing. and a law against genital mutilation as a good thing.

If I were a tobacco grower, I would regard any suggestion that smoking should be banned completely as a terrible threat.

'Stateliness' and 'majesty' are not words that I would ever use about legislation. Have you looked these words up in a dictionary?

Last edited:

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

If I were a tobacco grower, I would regard any suggestion that smoking should be banned completely as a terrible threat.
Now I may have understood the original sentence. The sentence is expressed just on those companies' standpoint.

'Staeliness' and 'majesty' are not words that I would ever use about legislation. Have you looked these words up in a dictionary?
In China, we innumerously get on education that "law is an emblem of righteousness", "law is sacred and inviolable", and so on;-)(So in most of Chinese eyes, legislation is also righteous, sacred and inviolable because laws occur after legislation). So I found the two words stateliness and majesty( In fact, I wrongly:-( found “corresponding” English words).

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Even if you were educated in China, you should still be able to understand that government is, at its heart, force.

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquence; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master." - George Washington

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

In China, we innumerously get on education that "law is an emblem of righteousness", "law is sacred and inviolable", and so on;-)(So in most of Chinese eyes, legislation is also righteous, sacred and inviolable because laws occur after legislation). So I found the two words stateliness and majesty( In fact, I wrongly:-( found “corresponding” English words).

Laws to us aim to create justice not righteousness- they exist to right wrongs, to prevent wrongs and to minimise the effects of wrongs, and are not emblems of the realm of the sacred and righteousness IMO.

dodonaomik

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Even if you were educated in China, you should still be able to understand that government is, at its heart, force.
Your words are very reasonable, I know. But... ... now China has only soil of obedience but hasn't soil of rebellion.
In a company, I ever said to one colleague, "we China had entered WTO for many years, thus we ought to
change dictatorial system and accept democracy, a more advanced system, because we China has so many people."
He immediately responsed, "just because there are so many people in China, China is unnecessary:) to accept
democracy , and China is just the world:-o!!!"
Hehe:) Of course, I know his words are too exaggerated.
To speak frankly, genuine freedom and democracy are too precious things for Chinese. But if Chinese don't rebel,
they cannot get them for ever. Meanwhile in the soil of obedience, there is maybe only dictatorial system that can
germinate and blossom out.

I guess that Chinese creativity will be genuinely activated when the soil is changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.