Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Dear all!
Can you help me about the exact meaning of the following passage? It is opinion of an Englishman about influence of the English government in Persia nearly 200 years ago. He had said that words as criticizing British policy in Persia. Some years ago, Iran was at war against Russia and England occasionally helped Persia during these wars which were lasted for nearly 10 years. The words in bold are especially problematic. Of course, after that wars Russia had gained great influence in Persia.

"As far as I could observe, the influence of the English here is not as exceptional as it used to be …, a threat, or expression of benevolence on behalf of his Majesty the Emperoris not measured anymore against the opinion of the English and their three million ster[ling] pounds, which they have spent by now in Persia since the embassy of Malcolm."

[FONT=&quot]At the beginning of the passage it is said "the influence of the English here is not as exceptional as it used to be". that seemingly means their influence was some years ago very much in Persia, but, the sentence "[/FONT]is not measured anymore against the opinion of the English[FONT=&quot]" denotes that the England had still a great deal of influence in Persia. It is very ambiguous for me.
Thanks very much. [/FONT]

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is NOT measured. The emperor's actions are NOT measured against the opinion of the English anymore.

pars

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
emperor of England?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear all!
Can you help me understand the exact meaning of the following passage? It is the opinion of an Englishman about the influence of the British government in Persia nearly 200 years ago. He said that as a criticism of British policy in Persia. Some years ago, Iran was at war with Russia, and England occasionally helped Persia during these wars which [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] lasted for nearly ten years. The words in bold are especially problematic. Of course, after those wars Russia [STRIKE]had[/STRIKE] gained great influence in Persia.

"As far as I could observe, the influence of the English here is not as exceptional as it used to be …, a threat, or expression of benevolence on behalf of his Majesty the Emperoris not measured anymore against the opinion of the English and their three million ster[ling] pounds, which they have spent by now in Persia since the embassy of Malcolm."

[FONT=&quot]At the beginning of the passage it is said "the influence of the English here is not as exceptional as it used to be". that seemingly means their influence was some years ago very great in Persia, but, the sentence "[/FONT]is not measured anymore against the opinion of the English[FONT=&quot]" denotes that [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] England had still a great deal of influence in Persia. It is very ambiguous for me.
[/FONT]

My suggestions.

pars

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks very much dear tarheel! I will regard your recommendation in my next threads.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
pars, always tell us the source and author of any quoted text, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.